PC going slow after installing a CD-RW driver (plus DVD-R)
Thread poster: Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
Jul 25, 2005

My PC runs very slow after installing a burner. Before that, I could run Trados and IExplorer, and every program, very fast...
Any help and suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Tadzio.

Note: Memory in local drive: 30 GB.

[Edited at 2005-07-25 01:18]

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
Polish to English
+ ...
Drives on the same ribbon? Jul 25, 2005

Tadzio wrote:

My PC runs very slow after installing a burner. Before that, I could run Trados and IExplorer, and every program, very fast...
Any help and suggestions will be welcome.

Hello,

Have you installed the burner on the same ribbon the local hard drive is installed on? If yes, this might be the cause. Optical drives should be installed on a separate IDE ribbon, because otherwise they make the hard disk work slower.

IDE ribbon is the flat, wide cable comprising many smaller wires. There should be one going from the mainboard to the harddisk (e.g. IDE 0), and another one from the mainboard to the burner (e.g. IDE 1).

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 03:17
German
+ ...
[U-]DMA mode for HDD access has probably been turned off Jul 25, 2005

This is a very extensive topic, so I'm not sure if I can give a complete answer, but the root of the problem is very likely that you've connected the burner on the same cable as the existing hard drive.

Very unfortunately, you are not giving any details about your system, but I'll just assume you are using Windows 2000 or XP and have one HDD and one CD/DVD burner connected to the same ATA ribbon cable.

The simplest solution would be to connect the burner to the end of
... See more
This is a very extensive topic, so I'm not sure if I can give a complete answer, but the root of the problem is very likely that you've connected the burner on the same cable as the existing hard drive.

Very unfortunately, you are not giving any details about your system, but I'll just assume you are using Windows 2000 or XP and have one HDD and one CD/DVD burner connected to the same ATA ribbon cable.

The simplest solution would be to connect the burner to the end of the other, identically-looking cable in your PC case (if there is a second cable in there). This should sort out the worst problems, although some tweaking may be in order.

Maybe you could try that and report back. In the meantime, you might want to read up on the topic, e.g. on
http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html
(especially the FAQ section) or similar pages.

HTH,
Benjamin

edit: Adam basically beat me to it. Was still writing this when he made his posting.

[Edited at 2005-07-25 12:20]
Collapse

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Adam and Tectranslate: Jul 25, 2005

THANK YOU BOTH for your quick response!
You know? If your answers had been different, I might still be wondering what's going on with my PC, but now I'm absolutely sure. Though I didn't plugged in the burner, I saw the technician doing what you're saying: He used the same ribbon for both drives! He even gave me back the new one that came in the burner box, saying that it was not useful! So, I kept it, fortunately.
Guess what I'm doing next? Yes, I'm calling him back because I don't d
... See more
THANK YOU BOTH for your quick response!
You know? If your answers had been different, I might still be wondering what's going on with my PC, but now I'm absolutely sure. Though I didn't plugged in the burner, I saw the technician doing what you're saying: He used the same ribbon for both drives! He even gave me back the new one that came in the burner box, saying that it was not useful! So, I kept it, fortunately.
Guess what I'm doing next? Yes, I'm calling him back because I don't dare to do it myself...(
Thank you again!
Tadzio.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC going slow after installing a CD-RW driver (plus DVD-R)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »