https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/35628-abbreviations_technology_and_translation.html

Abbreviations, technology, and translation
Thread poster: tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 02:12
English
Aug 13, 2005

As I read through the posts in this Technical forum, I see a lot of incorrect abbreviations. The correct abbreviations are:
kilohertz megahertz & gigahertz - kHz MHz GHz
kilo mega & giga - K M G (for storage)
bits & bytes - b B

Examples: 1.2 GHz, 45 kHz, 2 MB (megabytes), 2 Kb (kilobits). The k of kilohertz is lowercase because the k is a standard multiplier of 1000, not a multiplier of 1024 in computer storage.

The reason I mention this in this forum
... See more
As I read through the posts in this Technical forum, I see a lot of incorrect abbreviations. The correct abbreviations are:
kilo mega & giga - K M G (for storage)
bits & bytes - b B

Examples: 1.2 GHz, 45 kHz, 2 MB (megabytes), 2 Kb (kilobits). The k of kilohertz is lowercase because the k is a standard multiplier of 1000, not a multiplier of 1024 in computer storage.

The reason I mention this in this forum is that if your business entails translation for technology, at least in the direction of non-English to English, you will want to make sure your designations are correct.
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
K <> k ? Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for pointing this out. I was aware of most of it. However the explanation of the difference between k and K is not very clear to me.
The k of kilohertz is lowercase because the k is a standard multiplier of 1000, not a multiplier of 1024 in computer storage.

Do you mean that one should always use "k" but with hexadecimal units, and "K" is only correct as a multiplier of 1024?
Hence 100 Km/h is wrong?
Then I would think that the same applyes to "M", so that MHz is wrong... But you say:

Could you please clarify/elaborate on this point?

[Edited at 2005-08-14 17:28]

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 02:12
English
TOPIC STARTER
K and M Aug 14, 2005

A good source of prefixes is at http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

For M and m, the designations are the same for a general prefix and for a prefix used in computer storage: M is mega, m is milli. But for K and k the generally accepted terms are different, in that 1024 bytes of computer storage is KB, but 1000 grams is kg. Computer storage is not at this URL, bu
... See more
A good source of prefixes is at http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

For M and m, the designations are the same for a general prefix and for a prefix used in computer storage: M is mega, m is milli. But for K and k the generally accepted terms are different, in that 1024 bytes of computer storage is KB, but 1000 grams is kg. Computer storage is not at this URL, but the terms I quoted are the generally accepted terms used for years in the industry.

That said, take a look at http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html.

Here they talk about computer storage, but no one I know uses these terms, such as the kibibit for 1024 bits -- their kilobit = kbit = 1000 bits. I'm sticking with one kilobit = 1 Kb = 1024 bits until I write for an organization that's heard of these.
Collapse

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
Local time: 08:12
English to Danish
+ ...
kib Aug 19, 2005

tlmurray wrote:
Here they talk about computer storage, but no one I know uses these terms, such as the kibibit for 1024 bits -- their kilobit = kbit = 1000 bits. I'm sticking with one kilobit = 1 Kb = 1024 bits until I write for an organization that's heard of these.

I have seen the MiB and KiB used in some filesharing software. Of course I can't remember which one, but I did wonder what they meant by that. Now I know. (not that I use such software...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbreviations, technology, and translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »