Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:53
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 20, 2005

About two month ago I bought a router to get Internet on my laptop in addition to desktop, in other words start a home/office network. After several stressful days I finally had Internet on my laptop as well as desktop. I was helped by the company that sold router and Internet provider, as it is part of the service.
However, I still cannot see the laptop from my desktop or vice versa, neither can I use the printer from my laptop.
Can anybody suggest where I can get help (preferably free) in this matter. Can I ask the same router company to guide me through this process as well? I had the impression they were only responsible for Internet (and I must admit, their client support is appalling - you can only contact them via email and they answer in about two working days, which is not obvious in the beginning as telephone sales work fine. I only got help on phone (as a special client) when I threatened to return the router).
Or maybe there is a good online guide for dummies? I have a desktop with Windows XP and a laptop with the same Windows XP.

Thanks in advance,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

German Services
Local time: 13:53
English to German
+ ...
Try Aug 20, 2005

Try the company for technical support.

Theoretically, setting up a home network with Win XP is simple: Go to Start -> Settings -> Network Connections. In the upper left corner you'll see "Set up a home or small office network". Click on that, the wizard starts and you follow the instructions. Do the same on the other computer.

Again, I did say theoretically

You can post your progress here, I am sure other people will reply, or try this forum: www.geekstogo.com/forum/forums.html

And try this page (Microsoft help):

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

[Edited at 2005-08-20 18:23]

[Edited at 2005-08-20 18:24]

[Edited at 2005-08-20 20:28]

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Are both a desktop and a laptop in the same workgroup? Aug 20, 2005

I believe a default one is msHome in XP, but if it was changed somehow, the computers will not 'see' each other. A workgroup should be the same on both. Apart from that, an automatic setup usually works.

Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Turn on Folder and Printer Sharing Aug 20, 2005

By default, you won't be able to see any files, folders, or printers unless you've set them up to be shared.

You can turn sharing on or off by a folder or drive simply by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer and selecting "Sharing and Security." This will open a window that allows you to share the selected folder/drive by checking the "Share this folder on the network" box.

Sharing a printer is very similar to sharing a folder. Browse to the printer in Windows Explorer, right-click, select "Sharing," etc.

XP has online help support for this, too. Simply click on "Help and Support" in your Start menu and choose "Networking and the Web" beneath the "Pick a Help Topic" header.

A note of caution... You didn't specify whether your network is wireless. If it is, you need to take steps to secure your network so that neighbors or passersby cannot access your files without your permission.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same workgroup Aug 20, 2005

I did run an automatic network setup and both computers are in the same workgroup (mind you, I did change the name, but it is the same one). The Internet works fine on both but the computers still do not see each other.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Security Aug 20, 2005

Jennifer Baldwin wrote:

A note of caution... You didn't specify whether your network is wireless. If it is, you need to take steps to secure your network so that neighbors or passersby cannot access your files without your permission.

That's a point! It is wireless indeed. How do I get it secure?

[Edited at 2005-08-20 21:37]

Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Security Aug 20, 2005

Burrell wrote:

Jennifer Baldwin wrote:

That's a point! It is wireless indeed. How do I get it secure?

[Edited at 2005-08-20 21:37]

You have several options on that, and people seem to disagree on what's the best method. The most common are encrypting the network, setting a password for access, or limiting access to known IPs (i.e., your desktop and your laptop only). As for how to do any of this, I'm sorry that I'm not of much help. You can probably find some good information through Google. Good luck!

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
security Aug 21, 2005

Hi

as for security, there are several steps to undertake to have it secure. It also depends on the wireless protocol that you use, but still the measures are alike in all of them.

First, every WAN has a unique specifier with a name that makes it possible to identify the network, you can block broadcasting of this name somewhere in settings of your router

Second - encrypting, like WEP, you establish one or several keys for encryption in settings of your router, at least 128 bits, and use the same key(s) on your computers

Third - filtering of MACs (physical addresses of network adapters), since you have two, you type them in settings of you router and it should not be accessible to any other computer. If you want to know the MAC, you can type in Command Window ipconfig /all in each of your computers.

And you did not write whether folder/file and printer sharing is turned on, if not there is no chance for the computers to see each other.

Piotr

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Encription via router? Aug 21, 2005

Yes, the folder/file sharing is on (at least I turned it on). But one of the coomputers says I do not have the access to the workgroup, while another says it cannot find the path. Beats me, I really am only an amateur here. There probably is a very simple explanation to it, but I cannot see it yet.
As to encription, knowing my luck it will turn out a lot more difficult, but does that mean that everything can be done on the router?
As to protocols - I have no idea what I am using. In a few month time when I will finish sorting this thing out I will probably be fluent in network terms, but not yet.

English to Polish
+ ...
router controll Aug 21, 2005

I am not a router user, but as far as I know there must be a method to control options of the router, and usually you can access its setup from a computer. Besides routers may have their own firewalls. Everything should be somewhere in specifications of the device.

Routers act also as DHCP servers meaning that they allot IP numbers in the internal network, so maybe there a problem with IP allotment. What is the name of your router?

Piotr

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Router Aug 21, 2005

Piotr Sawiec wrote:

Routers act also as DHCP servers meaning that they allot IP numbers in the internal network, so maybe there a problem with IP allotment. What is the name of your router?

Piotr

I use Netgear DG834G

English to Polish
+ ...
router configuration Aug 21, 2005

OK, it is rather late (my synapses have burned out) and I have never dealt with configuration of a router, but yours is an advanced one and has all the necessary security features: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php

So you must enter the configuration window and see if there is anything blocking connection between two computers. Maybe the link below will help you to get to the configuration window:

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=57041

Good luck

Piotr

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Router configuration Aug 21, 2005

Thanks a lot, Piotr! I will try my luck tomorrow with this.

Cheers!
Burrell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed on networking

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs