Annamaria Leone
Annamaria Leone  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:14
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Aug 22, 2005

Hi,
this is the first time I translate a Word file containing smart tags (for a place name).
I'm not able to translate the words in the smart tags without erasing the smart tag itself. The mothod usually used with hypelinks does not work. Could you please suggest anything?

Thank you,

Annamaria

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
English to Polish
+ ...
SmartTags are not really text Aug 22, 2005

Usually data they display are for example pulled from a database. You do not edit SmartTags but the underlying data source. Do not touch SmartTags in your translation. If they are updated properly, they will be changed automatically (for example there can be a database with item names in different languages, and SmartTags will pull data from right fields depending on Windows regional settings).

And the final advice: when in doubt, ask the client. I know it is not always the case, bu
... See more
Usually data they display are for example pulled from a database. You do not edit SmartTags but the underlying data source. Do not touch SmartTags in your translation. If they are updated properly, they will be changed automatically (for example there can be a database with item names in different languages, and SmartTags will pull data from right fields depending on Windows regional settings).

And the final advice: when in doubt, ask the client. I know it is not always the case, but they should know more about the translation they want to have done.
Collapse

Annamaria Leone
Annamaria Leone  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:14
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Robert Aug 22, 2005

Robert Zawadzki wrote:

And the final advice: when in doubt, ask the client. I know it is not always the case, but they should know more about the translation they want to have done.

Thanks Robert,

yes infact I've also written an e-mail to the client to know how to work out the issue. In the meantime, I asked here and did some other researches by my own in order to learn more about smart tags.

Thanks again and have a good time!

Annamaria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed with smart tags in Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »