Do you use a web camera?
Thread poster: Mats Wiman

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:25
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Aug 28, 2005

Using SKYPE and VOIPBUSTER ( I came to think about the web camera looking at me every day from the lid of my laptop and which I have never used.

If one has ADSL/512 kb, a good headset (which??) and a web camera I believe one could communicate better than without camera but not as well at with a 2 MB connection.

Can someone tell us if and how they use the web camera option?

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
( moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797

[Edited at 2005-08-28 09:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:25
Member (2011)
+ ...
headphones and webcam with VoIP and Messenger applications Aug 28, 2005

I use Skype everyday at work for business.

My microphone headset, see:

plantronics headset with Skype

best to use a microphone headset

ADSL/broadband connection:
I have 1024 ADSL at home, and 2048 ADSL at the office. all of the applications below, including webcam, have been run with my 128 ADSL modem when the 1024 modem was having problems during the switchover to 1024.

Skype does not support it.
Here is what the Skype Support FAQ says about webcam:
I have a webcam. Can I use Skype to make video calls as well?
Our current focus is to make the best voice-application on the planet. But we will be adding many new and exciting features in the future and video-calling is high up on the wish list.

I do however use a webcam for to communicate with family members across the world. I did a lot of comparing of different Webcams in the 50 Euro range. After finding some sites that provide reviews of webcams, I finally chose in Dec 2004:
Creative Webcam NX Pro with the constraint that one of the family computers runs with Win98 First Edition (FE). None of the other webcams indicated that they specifically supported Win98 FE.

Instant Messengers that support Webcam:
I have Skype, AOL IM, Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger accounts.
The majority of people I communicate with have Yahoo IM or Skype.
With a speed of 30 frames per second, the webcam feature in Yahoo IM is acceptable, but a little slow for allowing small children to see each other with lots of fast movement. But should be fine for adults and more sedentary or slow movement contexts.
I've heard and testied on my computer that MSN/Windows Messenger has better video streaming, but very few of my correspondants use MSN. I've recently convinced my sister to register a Passport to use MSN and am waiting for her to get back from her vacation so that we can test out webcam with MSN.

[Edited at 2005-08-28 19:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use a web camera?

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs