Mobile menu

How do I import my Outlook address book into Outlook Express?
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß
Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to German
Sep 8, 2005

Hi,

I've done it in the past but I've just spent 2 hours and can't figure out how to do this anymore.

On my desktop PC, I use Outlook 2002 SP3 but on the laptop, I've only got Outlook Express 6 installed. My intention is to import the address book into the OE that's part of the OS on the desktop and then create a WAB file for easy import into OE on the laptop.

Here's what I did: I exported my Outlook contacts as a Windows CSV file (File > Import/Export > Export a file). Then, I opened Outlook Express, selected File > Import > Other address book and the CSV file I'd just exported, mapped the fields and clicked Finish. There is a progress bar and at the end a message advising me that the import has been completed. But none of my new contacts are displayed in the Shared contacts or the Main identity's contacts in the OE address book.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

TIA,

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-09-08 13:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:00
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Dawn Sep 8, 2005

Hi Rebekka,

Dawn, the Address Converter and Manager

http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

is very helpful.

Geneviève:)

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
wab.exe file Sep 8, 2005

Both Outlook Express and Outlook have all addresses in a file called wab.exe, i.e. two different files with the same name.

In any case, first you should backup both wab files and then replace your Outlook Express wab with the Outlook wab. I think this should work.

Regards
Erik

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail info@hansson.de
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.t-translators.net
Internet www.technical-translators.net
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
WAB.EXE is Outlook Express only Sep 8, 2005

Erik Hansson wrote:

Both Outlook Express and Outlook have all addresses in a file called wab.exe, i.e. two different files with the same name.

Hi Erik,

I've just searched my hard disk but I'm afraid there is only one wab.exe and it belongs to Outlook Express. OUtlook saves address books as PST files. That's why you have the option to use this format when exporting address books from Outlook. Unfortunately PST files are incompatible with OE. That's why I tried to export and import a CSV file.

@Geneviève: Thanks very much for your tip, also. I'll check out this utility.

Regards,

Rebekka

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Depending on versions of OE? Sep 8, 2005

Rebekka Gross wrote:

I've just searched my hard disk but I'm afraid there is only one wab.exe and it belongs to Outlook Express. OUtlook saves address books as PST files.

It might be that Outlook now saves the addresses in a file with another name. However, some versions back it was the same name, because I remember we by incident had used Outlook Express with the wab file from Outlook for many months. After a complete revision of the hard disks we wanted to import the addresses again, but 500 addresses were missing ... luckily we had backup of both wab files, from OE and simple O so we were lucky

Erik

xxxBrandis
Local time: 06:00
English to German
+ ...
Dawn is not good Sep 8, 2005

or not well designed, as it had jammed my comp only 5 min back. I was lucky to save the situation. Best regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I import my Outlook address book into Outlook Express?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs