Thread poster: Lindsay Sabadosa
Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:22
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

DISCLAIMER: I have done numerous Forum Searches about this subject and I can't find anything that fits my particular situation so I am posting here. Should anything similar have already been posted, please just give me the link so I can check it out because I just can't find it otherwise.

Windows XP
Office 2003
Gateway Notebook

I'm sure I will need to provide more informaiton about my computer but don't even know what right now. I have a North American VHS which I need to transcribe. The problem is that I want to take the audio off the VHS and create a file on my computer. My husband keeps telling me that I can do this through a cable hooked up to my TV (it's a TV/VCR in one) and into my computer's microphone outlet (although he's pretty useless beyond that point, hence my post). I obtained said cable from the local eletronics store and the guy there seemed to understand what I wanted to do just fine (although he did say I'd get better sound if I hooked it up through a line-in outlet on the soundcard that I don't have or if I have, can't find). Now, supposedly I can use this cable, play the VHS and record the audio using Windows Media Player BUT I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do this. The reason my stress level is going through the roof is because I'm leaving the country (US) on Saturday (and it is Thursday here), I need to turn in this project next week, it's taking me a life-time to transcribe this tape using the "pause, rewind, play" method and it's part 3 of 3 tapes (1 and 2 were on CD) so it's not like I can just tell the client that I've changed my mind about the project! Did I mention that I'm a little stressed? Any help is so greatly appreciated you can't even imagine.
Thanks in advance.
Lindsay

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I would need recording software Sep 8, 2005

Look through a public domain site (computer magazine's) and load one into your machine. I don't have such a software at the moment installed, so I don't know any names.
Check that all channels are open.
I bet you have a soundcard. There are pink and green jackets for mike and sound out.
It will be possible to get the sound into a file, wav or mp3 or what ever.
Cheers
Heinrich

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:22
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Try this Sep 8, 2005

1) Connect one end of the cable into the LINE OUT of your TV, and the other end into the LINE IN of your PC (check the back of the PC; the sound card MUST BE located on the bottom; to identify the card, check for three small holes in line. One of the hole must be the LINE INPUT; the other two are MIC INPUT and SPEAKER OUT).

2) On your PC, go to START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > GAMES and open SOUND RECORDER

3) Start the video

4) Hit the RECORD button on the recorder on your PC

5) Record the sound

6) Save the file

Note: if you cannot record any sound, check the setting of your Soundcard. To do this: go to Control Panel > Sound

Hope this helps
Gianni

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but... Sep 8, 2005

Thanks to both of you. I've been looking for some sort of software to download and I've tried to use the record button but the problem is that it only allows 60 seconds of recording. This tape is over 60 minutes. Is there a way I can change that? Otherwise I think that would work perfectly. Thanks!
Lindsay

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:22
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Audacity - open source free sound editor and player Sep 8, 2005

LSabadosa wrote:

Thanks to both of you. I've been looking for some sort of software to download and I've tried to use the record button but the problem is that it only allows 60 seconds of recording. This tape is over 60 minutes. Is there a way I can change that? Otherwise I think that would work perfectly. Thanks!
Lindsay

Download Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows.

Download also Lame from the same page.

Make your record as the colleague described above. Convert it to MP3 to save space... and then go!

Best regards,
Misho

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
you don´t need to connect to pc - here is an alternative Sep 8, 2005

Hi! if you have a VHS player with boxes and your PC has a microphone, just run the player over the boxes and record it via microphone set next to it to a .wav file which can be done in windows audio recorder. or try one of the high criteria products called voice recorder, comes as freeware for a certain period. You can record any length now. Best regards, Brandis BTW avoid external aberrations or sounds in the room while recording over microphone, this may jeopardize the recording the quality, even so you should be able to discard the bad sectors and re-record and replace the gaps.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Try this (reprise) Sep 8, 2005

LSabadosa wrote:

I've tried to use the record button but the problem is that it only allows 60 seconds of recording. This tape is over 60 minutes. Is there a way I can change that? Otherwise I think that would work perfectly. Thanks!
Lindsay

Right, I didn't think about that...No, there is no way U can change that (at least on Win2000, dunno about XP). What U can do is to record 60 files of one minute duration each on the PC, numbering them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. then stick a CD on the CD drive and burn the compilation on a CD. This way you will be able to play the files in the right sequence from the PC.
Try!
Gianni

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Try Audiograbber Sep 8, 2005

Although it is not its main purpose, its voice recording functions are quite good. You can record to wav (as it is) or to mp3 directly (low quality, unless you get a codec, which is easy). What is also useful is that it can detect silence (pauses) and cut the recording into several files, or you can make cuts manually, or not at all. And it is freeware...

It has one quirk though: after the recording you do not get any confirmation on the file recorded or anything. The file just sits in the Audiograbber directory.

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It finally worked!!! Sep 8, 2005

I'm so happy! Thank you so much everyone for all your suggestions which all were just so helpful. You're the best! Any time any of you are in the Boston-area, the lobster dinner celebration is on me.

Kindest regards,
Lindsay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recording Audio from a VHS

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs