https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/36882-virus_disappearing.html

virus disappearing
Thread poster: uFO
uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 01:55
Korean to English
+ ...
Sep 18, 2005

Hello everyone,
I would like to get some advice on the following situation.
On Friday morning I was terrified when I started my computer and got a message from Norton saying that my system is infected with Backdoor Graybird virus and that Norton cannot destroy it. I downloaded all the norton updates and found some information on that virus at Symantec website. I tried to follow the removal instructions but couldn't delete the registry key they said to delete, I kept getting some err
... See more
Hello everyone,
I would like to get some advice on the following situation.
On Friday morning I was terrified when I started my computer and got a message from Norton saying that my system is infected with Backdoor Graybird virus and that Norton cannot destroy it. I downloaded all the norton updates and found some information on that virus at Symantec website. I tried to follow the removal instructions but couldn't delete the registry key they said to delete, I kept getting some error message that it couldn't be deleted. Every time I started my computer I would get that message from Norton saying that the system is infected. Then I left it at that because I had a really urgent project to finish up. Today I was going to try to fix this nasty thing again, but to my surprise, I didn't get the virus message again, and full system scan showed that the system is clean. So I am not sure what this means. Could the virus just disappear by itself? or did it get to some new stage when it's no longer detectable? I checked the registry again and the key that is supposed to be associated with the virus is still there, and it still cannot be deleted... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 00:55
English
Permissions can keep you from deleting key Sep 18, 2005

It is certainly not impossible that Norton did indeed clean what was infected, all but the registry entry, and that the entry alone is not sufficient to do damage.

When you can't delete a key, you might not have permission. Right-click it, and see if you can give it to the account of "everyone", then delete it. If that still does not work, boot up under Safe mode (F8), and try it. And, while you are in Safe mode, run your various virus tests again.

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 01:55
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 19, 2005

thanks a lot, virus scans in the safe mode also showed that everything is fine, so I guess I can breathe freely again...

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Updating of virus definitions Sep 20, 2005

Nothing mysterious about it. Initially the virus definitions of Norton would not have covered this particular virus. That's the reason for the initial failure in deleting the virus. Then the virus definitions covering this virus would have been created and there you are. Presumably you have enabled the automatic liveupdate. A wise thing to do.

Do see the thread initiated by me in thi
... See more
Nothing mysterious about it. Initially the virus definitions of Norton would not have covered this particular virus. That's the reason for the initial failure in deleting the virus. Then the virus definitions covering this virus would have been created and there you are. Presumably you have enabled the automatic liveupdate. A wise thing to do.

Do see the thread initiated by me in this regard. See:
http://www.proz.com/topic/25518

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

virus disappearing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »