Mobile menu

Difference between work sent and work received
Thread poster: S K
S K
Ireland
Local time: 05:55
French to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2005

Hi there,
I recently did work for a company and had ensured the final presented work was meticulously correct. I sent the work on word document using Microsoft XP. The company said some lines had not been translated and that they had to make corrections. I re-checked the whole thing and could not understand where they were getting these errors. I was totally baffled. The other day, I was working on an old laptop with a lower version of Microsoft word and sill baffled I looked at the translation again and there the presentation of the work didn't look as good, with some lines missing, some of them being the ones they had mentioned. But I am still baffled as this was an IT company which I would expect had the latest software tools. Has anyone else had a similar experience and how can this be prevented apart from ensuring that the Software is comptabile. Just like to hear from others on similiar experiences


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:55
English to Spanish
Word XP is not backwards compatible Sep 29, 2005

Siobhan Kelly wrote:
Has anyone else had a similar experience and how can this be prevented apart from ensuring that the Software is comptabile. Just like to hear from others on similiar experiences


Hi,

I recenty received a document generated in Word XP and my old Word 2000 was unable to open the file. I tried to read the file using OpenOffice and all was fine. My version of OpenOffice is newer than Word 2000 and it is able to read documents in newer formats.

Word 2000 is unable to read the bullets generated in Word XP.

It is a shame that MS Office XP is not 100% backwards compatible with older versions of Microsoft Office, but there is nothing that we, as users, can do.

Two days ago friend sent me 3 word files made with Word 2003 in the new Word ML format and once again my old Word 2000 was unable to handle them. Thereafter I went to Microsoft's web site and downloaded a demo of MS Office 2003 only to check 3 documents.

As I work almost all the time on Linux, I don't care much about compatibility issues between MS programs. But those problems exist and can be very dangerous for translators.

Regards,
Rodolfo




[Edited at 2005-09-29 22:55]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
just a thought Sep 29, 2005

May-be you had a "write behind" cache active?
Could it be that for some reason the file sent was not your latest version?
The missing lines/differences are among the last you wrote/edited?

If this is not the case - this is a nightmare!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
ML format? Sep 29, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
3 word files made with Word 2003 in the new Word ML format


I have Word 2003 and I do not see any ML option under Save as... Do you mean XML format? Ok, this is not too bad - you can always find an other XML viewer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:55
English to Spanish
Word ML Sep 29, 2005

The name of the XML vocabulary used by MS Word is "Word ML" or Word Markup Language.

A normal XML editor is not nice for viewing formatted text. I use OpenOffice Writer on Linux to view document in Word ML format, but there are important differences in formatting.

Rodolfo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
MS-Word has various compatibility settings Sep 30, 2005

You don't necessarily need to worry about going to XML and getting an XML capable reader or anything else like that. You have several alternatives.

1. Convert the document to RTF and save it as an RTF. Close Word, Open RTF, Go to Tools -> Options -> Save -> disable features after Word 97 (I am basing this info using MS-Word 2003), save document as a MS-Word document. No real data loss, and everything is happy. Another thing that you might want to do is disable features that aren't available to many other versions of Word. Word sort of has a place that it shows what features are in what versions. This is found under Tools -> Options -> Compatibility -> Choose "Recommended options for ... " and by the version you choose it will autocheck which setting aren't available in the version that you are wanting to use.

2. File -> Save As -> in the drop down for type choose the option you want ie "Word 97 - 2003 & 6.0/95 RTF (.doc)"

3. Tell your client to use Microsoft's most recent MS-Word viewer version "Word Viewer 2003"
a free download is available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=95e24c87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en

4. Providing you don't care about various fonts, etc. Select entire text (Ctrl-A) -> copy all to clipboard (Ctlr-C) , open Notepad or WordPad -> paste all to either notepad or WordPad (Ctrl-V) -> Select entire text -> copy all to clipboard, close MS-Word, Open MS-Word -> paste all to MS-Word.

Monika

[Edited at 2005-09-30 02:45]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word docs being converted to .rtf and altering texts Sep 30, 2005

Hi Siobhan,
I recently had the same thing when I sent work back to an agency I have done quite a bit of work for before. I received a message saying I had deleted the title and some of the formatting was "out" (or words to that effect).

I was quite disturbed by this, for I had taken the greatest care in undertaking this job, as always and couldn't understand what had happened. But then I remembered, and this has happened to me before, although not mecessarily on jobs : I have been working on a Word document and when I saved it I got the message "cannot be saved... must be saved in .rtf format" , but this doesn't occur every time.


So I guess that is what is changing things.

Even, on a small document I received from a client once, the footer was missing, so was not translated. As far as I understood it, a Word doc was sent to me and I opened it up as it was sent, but apprently not!

I suppose all you people out there who are better informed on these technical issues find this very naive!

#1. Any advice/comments
#2. Siobhan - I sympathise, it's annoying!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:55
English to Polish
+ ...
A security measure. Sep 30, 2005

I print to PDF (there are lots of tools to do it) and send it along a Word versions with a line stating 'please contact me if there are any discrepancies'. PDF is designed to always look the same and exceptions are really rare.

If I send a zipped file I use some older ZIP utility. Win XP sometimes does not see files created using WinZip.

You can always Save As Word6, unless the text uses some newer tricks (they rarely do).

This looks like a lot of extra work, but I got used to it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Rumours of Word ML patches for older version Sep 30, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
It is a shame that MS Office XP is not 100% backwards compatible with older versions of Microsoft Office, but there is nothing that we, as users, can do.


I heard/read a rumour that Microsoft will release patches for MS Office 2000+ which will enable them to read and write Word ML documents. No such luck for Word 97 users, though. Still, I'm happy to read reports that OpenOffice opens the Word ML format to an acceptable degree.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
S K
Ireland
Local time: 05:55
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 7, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Siobhan Kelly wrote:
Has anyone else had a similar experience and how can this be prevented apart from ensuring that the Software is comptabile. Just like to hear from others on similiar experiences


Hi,

I recenty received a document generated in Word XP and my old Word 2000 was unable to open the file. I tried to read the file using OpenOffice and all was fine. My version of OpenOffice is newer than Word 2000 and it is able to read documents in newer formats.

Word 2000 is unable to read the bullets generated in Word XP.

It is a shame that MS Office XP is not 100% backwards compatible with older versions of Microsoft Office, but there is nothing that we, as users, can do.

Two days ago friend sent me 3 word files made with Word 2003 in the new Word ML format and once again my old Word 2000 was unable to handle them. Thereafter I went to Microsoft's web site and downloaded a demo of MS Office 2003 only to check 3 documents.

As I work almost all the time on Linux, I don't care much about compatibility issues between MS programs. But those problems exist and can be very dangerous for translators.

Regards,
Rodolfo




[Edited at 2005-09-29 22:55]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
S K
Ireland
Local time: 05:55
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million-you went to a lot of effort and your answers will be really helpful Oct 7, 2005

Monika Coulson wrote:

You don't necessarily need to worry about going to XML and getting an XML capable reader or anything else like that. You have several alternatives.

1. Convert the document to RTF and save it as an RTF. Close Word, Open RTF, Go to Tools -> Options -> Save -> disable features after Word 97 (I am basing this info using MS-Word 2003), save document as a MS-Word document. No real data loss, and everything is happy. Another thing that you might want to do is disable features that aren't available to many other versions of Word. Word sort of has a place that it shows what features are in what versions. This is found under Tools -> Options -> Compatibility -> Choose "Recommended options for ... " and by the version you choose it will autocheck which setting aren't available in the version that you are wanting to use.

2. File -> Save As -> in the drop down for type choose the option you want ie "Word 97 - 2003 & 6.0/95 RTF (.doc)"

3. Tell your client to use Microsoft's most recent MS-Word viewer version "Word Viewer 2003"
a free download is available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=95e24c87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en

4. Providing you don't care about various fonts, etc. Select entire text (Ctrl-A) -> copy all to clipboard (Ctlr-C) , open Notepad or WordPad -> paste all to either notepad or WordPad (Ctrl-V) -> Select entire text -> copy all to clipboard, close MS-Word, Open MS-Word -> paste all to MS-Word.

Monika

[Edited at 2005-09-30 02:45]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
S K
Ireland
Local time: 05:55
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Julie, thanks for sympathising-no longer feel so alone. Everyone has been so helpful Oct 7, 2005

Julie Allison wrote:

Hi Siobhan,
I recently had the same thing when I sent work back to an agency I have done quite a bit of work for before. I received a message saying I had deleted the title and some of the formatting was "out" (or words to that effect).

I was quite disturbed by this, for I had taken the greatest care in undertaking this job, as always and couldn't understand what had happened. But then I remembered, and this has happened to me before, although not mecessarily on jobs : I have been working on a Word document and when I saved it I got the message "cannot be saved... must be saved in .rtf format" , but this doesn't occur every time.


So I guess that is what is changing things.

Even, on a small document I received from a client once, the footer was missing, so was not translated. As far as I understood it, a Word doc was sent to me and I opened it up as it was sent, but apprently not!

I suppose all you people out there who are better informed on these technical issues find this very naive!

#1. Any advice/comments
#2. Siobhan - I sympathise, it's annoying!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between work sent and work received

Advanced search






Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs