https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/38295-is_there_a_virus_at_my_proz_hosted_site.html

Is there a virus at my Proz hosted site?
Thread poster: Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2005

Dear colleagues

I've been receiving at my yahoo email account spam delivered by the admisnistrator, support tean, the register of MY OWN WEB SITE hosted by proz... (The true is that I don't have any administrator, support, info, email address. I receive about 4 emails each 7 minutes.

Example of the text:

Dear Idea-translations Member,

Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.

Virtually yours,
The Idea-translations Support Team

or...

Dear user john,

You have successfully updated the password of your Idea-translations account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with your account, please contact Idea-translations customer service at: [email protected]

Thank you for using Idea-translations!
The Idea-translations Support Team

The heading info of one of such emails is:

X-Apparently-To: [email protected] via 206.190.49.25; Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:41:46 -0700
X-YahooFilteredBulk: 65.19.133.98
X-Originating-IP: [65.19.133.98]
Authentication-Results: mta120.mail.re2.yahoo.com
from=mydomainatproz.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 65.19.133.98 (EHLO blue.host.proz.com) (65.19.133.98)
by mta120.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:41:46 -0700
Received: from [213.189.89.57] (helo=mydomainatproz.com)
by blue.host.proz.com with esmtp (Exim 4.52)
id 1EUYQJ-0005Kf-RZ
for [email protected]; Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:41:45 +0000
To: [email protected]
Subject: YOUR PASSWORD HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY UPDATED
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:41:54 +0300
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - blue.host.prozz.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - ydomainatproz.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mydomainatproz.com
X-Source:
X-Source-Args:
X-Source-Dir:
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.1.361 [267.12.5/147]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_DD312B6A.768D599B"

While all this junk email goes directly to the undesired mail bin, I woulk like to avoid it in order to prevent loosing a real email.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Clarisa

[Edited at 2005-10-26 11:16]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:43
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Dear Clarisa Oct 26, 2005

May I suggest that you hide the message headers together with your email address etc.? Otherwise you will quite soon get also tons of other spam.

Please submit a support request using the 'support' button in the upper menu; please add the message headers to your support request. I would also suggest that this posting should be moved to ProZ.com hosting forum.

[Edited at 2005-10-26 00:17]

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
none of the email addressess are mine! Oct 26, 2005

Natalie wrote:

May I suggest that you hide the message headers together with your email address etc.? Otherwise you will quite soon get also tons of other spam.

Thank you Natalie, but...

The emails addressess (of the heading information) shown in my posting are the real ones included in the messages I've been receiving, but in fact none of them are real (noe of them exists). I mean, I only have two email addressess at idea-translations.com... but not john€idea-translations, nor info@idea-translations, these emails accounts are not mine.

Natalie wrote:

Please submit a support request using the 'support' button in the upper menu. I would also suggest that this posting should be moved to ProZ.com hosting forum.

[/quote]
I've never received an answer when I used the "support" button. That's why... And perhaps, this issue is not related to Proz...

And my mistake if I included this request in "technical issues" but I get lost with so many forums here... It's really a long list. I would appreciate if a moderator moves this thread to the appropriate forum. But I will also appreciate if some one finds a solution to this problem.

Regards

Clarisa

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:43
English to German
+ ...
Usual spam - just trash it Oct 26, 2005

Hi Clarisa,
First of all, please heed Natalia's advice:
Natalie wrote:

The way you're showing your post, you're exposing your domain - basically, you're extending an invitation to the next spammer to try and see which addresses exist at your site.

The emails addressess (of the heading information) shown in my posting are the real ones included in the messages I've been receiving, but in fact none of them are real (noe of them exists). I mean, I only have two email addressess at idea-translations.com... but not john€idea-translations, nor info@idea-translations, these emails accounts are not mine.

Happens very frequently, and is not specifically related to ProZ.com hosting - my site is hosted somewhere else, and I keep getting messages to non-existent addresses (sometimes showing one of my own real addresses as a sender).

I've never received an answer when I used the "support" button.

When did you last use Support? The ProZ.com team have conducted a massive upgrade to the Support system a few months ago, so I would really encourage you to try it.

That's why... And perhaps, this issue is not related to Proz...

The way I see it, it's not.

And my mistake if I included this request in "technical issues" but I get lost with so many forums here... It's really a long list.

Of course - but then, there's a lot of demand for a variety of different forums...

I would appreciate if a moderator moves this thread to the appropriate forum.

Given that this is presumably not related specifically to ProZ.com hosting, I'd say we can leave it here.

But I will also appreciate if some one finds a solution to this problem.

There is no solution - report them to Spamcop, and set a filter in your e-mail client. That's pretty much all there is to be done about these things.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2005-10-26 05:45]

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Oct 26, 2005

I enabled an option provided by Proz hosting that bounces any email sent to my domain but uses a non existent account - Previously all that stuff was sent to my yahoo account (I discovered it tonight while searching a solution - of course it was me who had set the option to resend any wrong address to my yahoo account. I had forgotten it!

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The way you're showing your post, you're exposing your domain - basically, you're extending an invitation to the next spammer to try and see which addresses exist at your site.

I'll change the domain info.

When did you last use Support? The ProZ.com team have conducted a massive upgrade to the Support system a few months ago, so I would really encourage you to try it.

Long time ago...

Of course - but then, there's a lot of demand for a variety of different forums...

Agree! In my opinion too many forums are not that good. We should consider a little bit more when proposing a new forum. Before doing that, let's check how many forus we already have :-
But that's another issue! The problem that took me here is already solved.

Thank you all!
Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a virus at my Proz hosted site?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »