ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: chopra_2002
Conversion from Mangal(Hindi Unicode Font) into Arial Unicode(Hindi Unicode Font)

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:54
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

I am writing this to seek technical help in connection with an issue relating to unicode. One of the agencies wants me to do an assignment in Arial Unicode (Hindi) They have provided me an excel file and a word file. I am required to copy certain text from excel file and paste it in the word file and carry out the requisite changes and translate the additional material. It is quite strange when I put my cursor in excel file, the Hindi text shows Arial Unicode and when I copy and paste the same text in word file, it shows Mangal!

I have got Windows XP and hence, have got the Hindi unicode font which comes embedded with this operating system. I have got Mangal Hindi Unicode font and I don't appear to have Arial Unicode Hindi font.

What is the reason behind the automatic change of font from Arial Unicode to Mangal? Could I convert the text from Mangal into Arial Unicode? I guessed this issue could be related to Styles and Formatting. I tried to convert by selecting the text and trying various styles but in vain.

Could someone guide me how can I convert the Mangal text into Arial Unicode(Hindi)? Thanks in anticipation.

[Edited at 2005-10-29 18:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:24
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Oct 29, 2005

I suppose that Mangal is set your default font in Word. You should set Arial Unicode your default font; then the font will not change at copying/pasting from Excel to Word (I assume you have Arial Unicode MS installed on your system).

In Word:
Format > Font > Arial Unicode MS > Set default > OK

HTH,
Natalia

Seema Ugrankar  Identity Verified
India
Member (2007)
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Problem may be due to Office 2000 Oct 30, 2005

Hi PC,

Probably this problem occurs while using MS-Office 2000 with WinXP. I find that it works fine for the officeXP-WinXP combination. You can use Mangal font for display at your end and change it to arial ms unicode before sending it to your client. It will work perfectly alright.

Seema

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion, but Oct 30, 2005

when I tried to do the same I found Arial Unicode MS font was not available for selection as default. But I am surprised if this font is not installed in the system, how the text displays Arial Unicode when I put my cursor on the same.

Natalie wrote:

In Word:
Format > Font > Arial Unicode MS > Set default >

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

The explanation is simple Oct 30, 2005

langclinic wrote:
when I tried to do the same I found Arial Unicode MS font was not available for selection as default. But I am surprised if this font is not installed in the system, how the text displays Arial Unicode when I put my cursor on the same.

It means that you have no Arial Unicode MS font installed on your system. You see it in the document that was sent to you, because the font was embedded in the document (embedding fonts means that you see them even on a computer with no such font installed).

Your problem may be resolved only by installing Arial Unicode MS on your computer (for example, you may ask your client if s/he could send the font to you).

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Are you using Trados 7.0 Oct 31, 2005

In india there is the i-leap, which I find is very convenient. Brandis

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 31, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Your problem may be resolved only by installing Arial Unicode MS on your computer (for example, you may ask your client if s/he could send the font to you).

Thanks so much for explaining this issue. This appears to be the real cause of this problem. I'm trying to locate and install this font. Thanks again for your advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion from Mangal(Hindi Unicode Font) into Arial Unicode(Hindi Unicode Font)

SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro 2013
ProZ.com members receive a 20% discount on memoQ

memoQ is a tool from translators to translators: no matter whether your clients give you files in the original file formats or supply you with project packages in other translation tools, you can use memoQ to guarantee timely delivery, high productivity a

More info »