Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:37
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

Yesterday I finally put finishing touches to my website and today spent the whole day trying too upload it to the server. However, I seem to be stuck and am not quite sure from which level the problem originates.
I use NetObjects Fusion 8, Windows XP. The problems started when I tried testing the FTP link - Fusion freezes about 5 seconds after I initiate the testing and I have to restart . the program. I tried skipping testing and put the website on the web without it but the result was exactly the same - the program froze almost instantly.
If nobody can advice me on how to keep going with NetObjects Fusion, what are the other options? Can I still upload the site in some other way? If yes, then how (I am a bit slow on this subject, so I would need very simple instructions)? Also, which files do I actually upload? The site is published locally. Do I just grab the whole local site folder?
Maybe there are some professional services that help such hopeless stranded amateurs? Would those be web developers?
Any advice hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:37
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Alternative FTP method Oct 30, 2005

Burrell wrote:

Can I still upload the site in some other way? If yes, then how (I am a bit slow on this subject, so I would need very simple instructions)? Also, which files do I actually upload? The site is published locally. Do I just grab the whole local site folder?

Cheers,
Burrell

I regret I cannot help you with NetFusion, although the cause of your problem might perhaps be an incorrect path that you are using to upload the files to your public directory. I am using Dreamweaver, which has a similar automatic way of uploading files to the server. However I prefer to use a common FTP program, such as FileZilla (freeware) (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla), which gives me more freedom and control over the entire uploading process.

You just have to fill in the user name, the password and the IP address of your server that were given to you by your hosting company. Very important however is knowing exactly the correct path to you public directory, often a folder called public_html or the like. Once you are sure about where exactly uploading your files, in general copying the entire site into the public directory is sufficient. Depending on how your site is structured however, you might also need to upload other types of file (server side scripts, for example) to other directories, if such files are actually used.

The best way of course is asking your hosting company and /or consult the information provided when you registered with them.

Mario Cerutti
http://www.aliseo.com

Zhong Wu
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please use FTP free software, and set the default file name. Oct 30, 2005

Burrell wrote:

Can I still upload the site in some other way? If yes, then how (I am a bit slow on this subject, so I would need very simple instructions)? Also, which files do I actually upload? The site is published locally. Do I just grab the whole local site folder?

Cheers,
Burrell

Hello Burrell,

Nor sure if you've solve your problem.
I would suggest you to upload your whole site to your server using any of the FTP software in stead of using the program you created the site with. Like Mario suggested, you can use any free FTP program, here is the link to download.

http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/FTP_freeware/

I've ever used SmartFTP and CuteFTP.
The advantage of using such FTP program is that it will tell you what the problem is if you can't upload files,instead of just freez there. The FTP program tells you through the error message in the status pane or window.

If the FTP server info (the server you want to upload the site to), user name and password info are correct, there shuold be no problem to upload the files provided you created the folder on the server to accomodate your site files.
Yes, usually you can drag and drop folders in the FTP software depending which one you use.

Remember, (maybe you've done so),after you the site files to the server, you should have a default file name for the first page of your site. Usually this default file name is: default.html, index.html, index.php, index.asp, default.php, etc. If your first page file is not the default file name, you have to tell your web space provider your first page file name, and ask them to point the first page of your site to that file name.
Good luck

Zhong Wu

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
English to Russian
+ ...
simple and reliable FTP program Nov 10, 2005

available in Latvian language among others

the program itself may be downloaded here:
http://www.ghisler.com/

latvian language pack:
http://www.ghisler.com/languages.htm

looks like norton commander and works very simple
minimum of settings required to make any upload or download.

Highly recommended!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems uploading website

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs