Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:17
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 10, 2005

I have a word dicument which seemingly is protected (as there is an option "unprotect" in tools), although the client says nobody has ever protected it and they do not have a pasword. As a result I cannot edit the text and use Trados.
I thought I will convert it to pdf and then back to word doc via Fine Reader. However my Adobe Acrobat 6 Prof freezes every time it starts converting this document.
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Client should have a password Nov 10, 2005

I just created an empty Word file and protected it with a password. I tried to convert it to pdf, but I was prompted to unprotect the doc first.
You should insist with the client that the document is indeed protected and they should find out the password from the person who created the document.
Csaba

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No pasword Nov 10, 2005

The person who created the document says it was never protected. It was not supposed to be uneditable but somehow it is. I was told to disregard the formatting and just deliver the translation as plain text in Word.
The thing is Acrobat does not ask me for password. It starts converting something and eventually freezes.

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Have you tried to save in new file? Nov 10, 2005

Hi Burrell,
I don't know if it works in your case, but when I have problems with a Word file, sometimes I simply copy all the text except the last paragraph mark and paste it in a new file. You might lose some of the formatting but it may solve the accessibility problem.
HTH

Marie-Céline

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 23:17
English
Have a Mac available? Nov 10, 2005

I just protected a Word doc, and on a Mac, I can make a PDF of it without a challenge for the password.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are a star! Nov 10, 2005

Marie-Céline GEORG wrote:

Hi Burrell,
I don't know if it works in your case, but when I have problems with a Word file, sometimes I simply copy all the text except the last paragraph mark and paste it in a new file. You might lose some of the formatting but it may solve the accessibility problem.
HTH

Marie-Céline

I completely forgot about this trick. Of course! I saved the doc as rtf document, opened it in a separate application, selected all, copied and then pasted to a new word document. The text even has roughly the same layout. Brilliant!

Cheers!
Burrell

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use OpenOffice.org Writer Nov 11, 2005

Burrell wrote:

I have a word dicument which seemingly is protected (as there is an option "unprotect" in tools), although the client says nobody has ever protected it and they do not have a pasword. As a result I cannot edit the text and use Trados.
I thought I will convert it to pdf and then back to word doc via Fine Reader. However my Adobe Acrobat 6 Prof freezes every time it starts converting this document.
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Burrell

OpenOffice.org is free, and the Writer module can both unprotect a Word DOC when you don't know the password (I always do that when I get locked documents which I otherwise would not be able to import into a CAT), plus, it can create a PDF, when you use the File > Export to PDF option.

HTH

Piotr

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Piotr! Nov 11, 2005

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

OpenOffice.org is free, and the Writer module can both unprotect a Word DOC when you don't know the password (I always do that when I get locked documents which I otherwise would not be able to import into a CAT), plus, it can create a PDF, when you use the File > Export to PDF option.

HTH

Piotr

I will definitely keep this in mind next time. Great advice!

Burrell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot convert word doc to pdf

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs