Know how to divide a huge Word document into equal parts?
Thread poster: sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 21:43
German to English
Dec 9, 2005

I have an extremely large word document I want to divide equally into 8 parts to distribute amongst my team members. I seem to remember sometime during the summer a similar or the same question was posted in the forums, but I can't seem find it with the forum search.

Does anyone know of a shareware program, or maybe know how by using a Windows application (I have Windows XP) I'm not familiar with...?

Thanks in advance f
... See more
I have an extremely large word document I want to divide equally into 8 parts to distribute amongst my team members. I seem to remember sometime during the summer a similar or the same question was posted in the forums, but I can't seem find it with the forum search.

Does anyone know of a shareware program, or maybe know how by using a Windows application (I have Windows XP) I'm not familiar with...?

Thanks in advance for your help,
sylvie malich

www.einmalich.net
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No program I know can do this... Dec 9, 2005

...but Word itself offers the simplest solution for this task: Use Cut & Paste to move parts of the document to other, empty documents. If your team is working with a TM, you can automatically translate the whole document once all translations are in (to avoid having to laboriously copy everything together again).

You will have to gauge (or count) the amount of text to cut yourself - I doubt there's any program that will cut the file evenly. To my knowledge, the Word format (unlike
... See more
...but Word itself offers the simplest solution for this task: Use Cut & Paste to move parts of the document to other, empty documents. If your team is working with a TM, you can automatically translate the whole document once all translations are in (to avoid having to laboriously copy everything together again).

You will have to gauge (or count) the amount of text to cut yourself - I doubt there's any program that will cut the file evenly. To my knowledge, the Word format (unlike MPEG or AVI digital video files, for example) is not based on a single continuous data stream that can just be chopped into pieces.

Anyway, I hope this helps at least a bit.

Benjamin

(automatic translation sentence edited for clarity)

[Edited at 2005-12-09 11:43]
Collapse

HLeifeld
HLeifeld  Identity Verified
English to German
... but a VBA macro can Dec 9, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

...but Word itself offers the simplest solution for this task: Use Cut & Paste to move parts of the document to other, empty documents. If your team is working with a TM, you can automatically translate the whole document to avoid having to laboriously copy everything together again.

You will have to gauge (or count) the amount of text to cut yourself - I doubt there's any program that will cut the file evenly. To my knowledge, the Word format (unlike MPEG or AVI digital video files, for example) is not based on a single continuous data stream that can just be chopped into pieces.

Anyway, I hope this helps at least a bit.

Benjamin

Some time ago I wrote a macro for similar purposes which could easily be adapted to your purposes. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling over the weekend, starting right now, but on Monday I'll be back and would post the macro here if that's not too late for you.
Best regards
HLeifeld

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Splitty + other alternatives Dec 9, 2005

A client of mine once recommended Splitty:
http://www.basta.com/ProdSplitty.htm
The Lite version of it appears to cost $0. I never had to use it so I don't know if it works for Word docs.

There seem to be quite a few other options out there; just google "file splitter".

That said, I might be more inclined to split it into 8 by hand, rather than run the risk of a
... See more
The Lite version of it appears to cost $0. I never had to use it so I don't know if it works for Word docs.

There seem to be quite a few other options out there; just google "file splitter".

That said, I might be more inclined to split it into 8 by hand, rather than run the risk of a new piece of software that may or may not be reliable.
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Splitty doesn't split the content Dec 9, 2005

Michele Johnson wrote:

That said, I might be more inclined to split it into 8 by hand, rather than run the risk of a new piece of software that may or may not be reliable.

Splitty splits a file for saving on small data carrier.

After splitting a word file the parts aren't correct word files.

Greetings

Hans

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Wrong purpose (?) Dec 9, 2005

Michele Johnson wrote:

It is my understanding that the purpose of the splitting in this case is not to merely break down the file to chunks of lesser size but instead to enable several team members to work on one part each (simultaneously).

There are many solutions available (I strongly recommend WinRAR) for distributing data evenly on a binary level, but all of these solutions have in common that the parts cannot be used until re-joined.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Michele Dec 9, 2005

Michele Johnson wrote:

"Splittly Lite" will only join Splitty split files.

I downloaded a splitter shareware that seemed like the one most suited, but the resulting files were converted into a format my machine does not recognize. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

The same with WinSplit. The end result is some unrecognizable format...

Any other suggestions? Anybody? I'm dealing with 42,000 words here.

TIA,
sylvie

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Use TM... Dec 9, 2005

My method would be similar to Benjamin's. However, I would first extract the segments to be translated (in Trados: Analyze/Export unknown segments/rtf).

Then I would split the resulting file by hand (Cut/Paste). Even if the collaborators do not have TM, getting the segments into TM is easy enough (in Trados, align with segmentation only on paragraph mark - this should provide a 1:1 aligment). Then translate automatically (and check the final file, of course; there might be some issu
... See more
My method would be similar to Benjamin's. However, I would first extract the segments to be translated (in Trados: Analyze/Export unknown segments/rtf).

Then I would split the resulting file by hand (Cut/Paste). Even if the collaborators do not have TM, getting the segments into TM is easy enough (in Trados, align with segmentation only on paragraph mark - this should provide a 1:1 aligment). Then translate automatically (and check the final file, of course; there might be some issues).
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
http://www.proz.com/topic/35310 Dec 9, 2005

Hi,

I have found this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/35310 in the Office Applications Forum, where actually even this thread would belong.

There is a macro to do so (I haven't tried it). BTW, splitters split files, but the created smaller files can't be used / opened with MS Word, only sent separately and then merged.

SDLX module Split splits only *.itd files, i.e.
... See more
Hi,

I have found this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/35310 in the Office Applications Forum, where actually even this thread would belong.

There is a macro to do so (I haven't tried it). BTW, splitters split files, but the created smaller files can't be used / opened with MS Word, only sent separately and then merged.

SDLX module Split splits only *.itd files, i.e. SDLX files.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2005-12-09 12:04]
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
You are all right Dec 9, 2005

tectranslate wrote:
It is my understanding that the purpose of the splitting in this case is not to merely break down the file to chunks of lesser size but instead to enable several team members to work on one part each (simultaneously).

There are many solutions available (I strongly recommend WinRAR) for distributing data evenly on a binary level, but all of these solutions have in common that the parts cannot be used until re-joined.

Hans, tectranslate, and co: You are all of course right; what was I thinking? Now I remember why this client wanted to use it: their email couldn't accept file attachments larger than 10 MB. You had to break down a large file into parts, send the parts separately, and then they would reassemble the file. So nothing to do really with making a word doc more manageable.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, everyone Dec 9, 2005

I saw the macro link too late, and have already split the (damn) file by hand. Took about half an hour...

syl

By the way, 3 of the team members are not using a CAT tool. I do not own Trados (and never will).

[Edited at 2005-12-09 12:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Know how to divide a huge Word document into equal parts?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »