Thread poster: Kathy O

Kathy O  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2005

Hello,

I assume that this question was already asked, yet I could not find the answer. I have a translation job delieverd to me as xls file. How can I count the words.
Thanks

Kathy

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 03:04
Catalan to English
+ ...
2 possibilities (that I know of) Dec 13, 2005

Hi Kathy,

One would simply be to copy the text of the xls file and paste it in a Word.doc and use the count word feature.

The other would be (which I suppose is not your case) to use a program such as Practicount - which I got recently as it's reasonably cheap and very easy to use - you can download a trial version for 15 days or so and I seem to remember it cost something like US$50.-

My 2 ex-pesetas.

Andy

Canada
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
counting words in xls file Dec 13, 2005

Hi Andy,

thanks for your response, especially at this late hour. I will copy the xls file and paste it into a word document. It's easy. I thought there is another way of doing it.

Thanks again and Adios

Kathy

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
AnyCount Dec 13, 2005

Hi!
You can download a free 30-day evaluation copy of AnyCount, Version 3.0 at http://www.translation3000.com/download.html

AnyCount produces automatic word counts, character counts, line counts, and page counts for all common file formats. Supports .DOC, .RTF, .XLS, .PPT, .PPS, .HTM, .CSV, .PDF, .TXT, .ZIP formats, characters with spaces, characters without spaces.

Ciao DZ

[Edited at 2005-12-13 09:07]

Canada
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AnyCount Dec 13, 2005

Hi Daniela,

thanks for your response. I will try it out.

Ciao

Kathy

Canada
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anycount Dec 13, 2005

I checked it and it's not for Macs.

Kathy

xxxSemantix AB
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
You never mentioned Mac Dec 14, 2005

Kathy O. wrote:

I checked it and it's not for Macs.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, you never mentioned in your initial question that you're looking for Mac software.

Try to make a habit of always specifying what version you're working in, this is not for granted. So even if you now mentioned Mac, there's no way for us to guess if you're on OSX or OS9 (or even older systems...).

The Word workaround is not very convenient in the long run, is my experience. Sooner or later you'll run into xls files with weblinks, embedded objects, many tabs, pop-up comments etc, that make cut'n-paste a chore.

So check out this program instead:
http://www.apluscounts.com/AplusCombiCounterEX_English.html

Off course, if you were working on Windows, you'd have more options, like letting your favourite CAT tool do the word count for you (Trados TagEditor 6.5 and above have native support for xls, for instance).

Best,

Jan

Last Hermit
Local time: 09:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Why not try the Trados Analyse feature? Dec 14, 2005

Open your Trados Workbench, click Tools->Analyse, and browse to open the file in question.

It is not 100% accurate, though.

Kathy O. wrote:

Hello,

I assume that this question was already asked, yet I could not find the answer. I have a translation job delieverd to me as xls file. How can I count the words.
Thanks

Kathy

Canada
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados and xls file Dec 14, 2005

Hi,

I'd love to, however I don't have Trados. I work on iBook (G3) and can't install virtual PC.

Thanks

Kathy

Vitaly Pedchenko (AIT)
English to Ukrainian
Word Count Software for Mac Jan 16, 2006

Hello Kathy,

You can try this text count software for Macs:

http://www.supermagnus.com/mac/Word_Counter/index.html

Best regards,
Vito.

---------------------------------
Vito Webber,
AIT Software Development Team
http://www.translation3000.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words in xls file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs