Mobile menu

Search tool needed
Thread poster: François Désilets

François Désilets  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:42
English to French
Dec 24, 2005

I'd like to get a search tool that could do a search on the internet by simply selecting some words directly form Word (example) and pushing a key.

Where could I find such a useful software ?

Direct link Reply with quote
PractiSearch Dec 25, 2005

Try PractiSearch - It perfectly fits your description. Plus it was developed for translators in the first turn and contains a lot of translator web resources already preconfigured with an ability to add other web resources of user choice.

Best regards,
Maxim Siefer
Practiline Software

Tibor  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
English to Hungarian
I recommend Google Deskbar Dec 25, 2005

I use Google Deskbar (free) for this purpose.

Best regards,

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
German to English
+ ...
IntelliWebSearch (IWS) Dec 27, 2005

Developed by a colleague (Mike Farrell, who translates IT-EN). Mike is still working on the development, so he is responsive to comments. But the program is free (still).

You can highlight a word or phrase, and search with whatever web search engine you like. (Just takes a few minutes when you start using IWS to figure out how to define the searches).

The way I have it defined, a single key combination takes me straight to a Google search which displays 50 hits at a time without any language or domain limitations. You can define this differently to suit your own favourite flavour.

Throw in a slightly different key combo and a single mouse click, and it takes me to the ProZ "Web term search" for my highlighted term, or to eight other pre-defined searches (e.g. Google with defined language/domain, searches with Yahoo, Lycos or whatever).

[Edited at 2005-12-27 09:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search tool needed

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs