PC won't recognize USB memory stick - Problem solved
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 21:11
French to English
Jan 18, 2006

I have two PCs, one with WinXP home edition (service pack 1) and a newer laptop with WinXP pro (service pack 2).

I just bought a new USB memory stick, which works fine in the newer machine. However, the older PC keeps asking me to install the new peripheral and the Windows peripheral de-bugger says that the peripheral has not been installed correctly and that the pilots need to be installed.

I have used other USB flash drives/mem sticks before in this machine, no proble
... See more
I have two PCs, one with WinXP home edition (service pack 1) and a newer laptop with WinXP pro (service pack 2).

I just bought a new USB memory stick, which works fine in the newer machine. However, the older PC keeps asking me to install the new peripheral and the Windows peripheral de-bugger says that the peripheral has not been installed correctly and that the pilots need to be installed.

I have used other USB flash drives/mem sticks before in this machine, no problem.

The manufacturer of the USB flash drive/mem stick provides downloadable pilots for Windows 98 only; these should not be needed for newer versions as the drive is plug-and-play.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Please don't ask me to install Service Pack 2 as I did this last year and ended up having to reinstall my entire system with the original SP 1.

Thanks!

Sara

[Edited at 2006-01-18 11:39]
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
You don't want to hear it, but... Jan 18, 2006

...here it is: You should really install Service Pack 2 (and the numerous subsequent patches!)

Really.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sara Jan 18, 2006

First thing to do: just try another USB port. I have two different memory sticks and from time to time I have problems with both of them. Inserting to another port has always helped.

Servicepacks have nothing to do with this.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Natalie, I tried all 6 USB ports... Jan 18, 2006

Same problem persists. I plug in the mem stick, the little pop up tells me the "USB Flash Drive" has been recognized, but when I look at the my computer window ("poste de travail", my interface is in French) the drive does not appear and an installation wizard opens asking me to install the peripheral.

Ugh!

Sara

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry tectranslate, but that's out of the question : ) Jan 18, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

...here it is: You should really install Service Pack 2 (and the numerous subsequent patches!)

Really.

I had such terrible problems the last time I tried SP2 that I will never do it again. Dell tech support told me to stay with the OS the machine was sold with.

How do you explain that my computer seems to recognize other peripherals, including USB flash drives, but not *this* particular one? I plan to re-test this later with a friend's USB drive, but my neighbor did come over to print something a couple of weeks ago, and he used his flash drive no problem on this machine.

Ugh again...

Sara

[Edited at 2006-01-18 10:48]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Sara Jan 18, 2006

Could you please provide the following info:

- the trademark of your flash memory;
- is it USB 1.1/2.0 compatible and which USB ports do you have in your computer?

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Sometimes you have to install a driver Jan 18, 2006

Older Windows may not have it while newer ones do. Perhaps there is a driver on stick manufacturer's page. I got one one a small CD. I never had to use it on XP SP2 machines, but the same computer when booted into Win '98 (for some reasons I still need a '98 partition) needed it. There is an XP driver on this disk, so perhaps I'd need it on some earlier XP.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Natalie, Jan 18, 2006

Hopefully I am stating this correctly (my interface is in French).

The memory stick is 2.0 compatible and is an "Attaché" model made by www.pny-europe.com

When I go into my peripherals manager in Windows, I have six USB ports listed with an Intel USB 2.0 controller. Does this mean that all six ports are USB 2.0? (Sorry, I am a bit of a technical dummy, I know!).

Could thi
... See more
Hopefully I am stating this correctly (my interface is in French).

The memory stick is 2.0 compatible and is an "Attaché" model made by www.pny-europe.com

When I go into my peripherals manager in Windows, I have six USB ports listed with an Intel USB 2.0 controller. Does this mean that all six ports are USB 2.0? (Sorry, I am a bit of a technical dummy, I know!).

Could this have something to do with the USB port drivers?

HTH

Sara
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Automatic driver setup? Jan 18, 2006

When the system complains that the drivers are not installed, it should provide an option to install them - either from the Internet or from the system resources. Have you tried that?

If this does not work, try using the option Install new hardware from the Control Panel, then follow the instructions provided.

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Robert, Jan 18, 2006

Yes, the manufacturer does have a downloadable driver for Win 98, but it says right on the package that for XP nothing is needed (and there is nothing available to download for XP on their site).

Sara

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yipee, it worked!! Jan 18, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

When the system complains that the drivers are not installed, it should provide an option to install them - either from the Internet or from the system resources. Have you tried that?

If this does not work, try using the option Install new hardware from the Control Panel, then follow the instructions provided.

Thanks to all!

Sara

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Glad your problem is solved, but Jan 18, 2006

refusing to install SP2 bears a big safety risk.

And why should you have problems installing it, if you have an usuall PC with all usuall components? We are using three different PCs (to be exact: two PCs and one laptop) with thre different chipsets, motherboards, processors, HDD systems, graphics systems and so on. SP2 installs without any problem.
SP2 is for instance necessary to get the USB2 full support. It corrects a lot of errors in the system, and it brings a lot of saf
... See more
refusing to install SP2 bears a big safety risk.

And why should you have problems installing it, if you have an usuall PC with all usuall components? We are using three different PCs (to be exact: two PCs and one laptop) with thre different chipsets, motherboards, processors, HDD systems, graphics systems and so on. SP2 installs without any problem.
SP2 is for instance necessary to get the USB2 full support. It corrects a lot of errors in the system, and it brings a lot of safety features.

This is as would your car manufacturer offer you a reworked engine for free and you would be refusing that. But still, it is ones personal decission... I would install any patch from Microsoft either for Windows and Office, to keep my PC updated.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 15:11
English
I agree with Jerzy Mar 26, 2006

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:
I had such terrible problems the last time I tried SP2 that I will never do it again. Dell tech support told me to stay with the OS the machine was sold with.

That was not good advice on the part of Dell. If installing SP2 causes a world of problems, then there were problems to begin with at the core of the system and you are only putting off the inevitable crash. Indeed, the problems with this USB stick is an indicator. Windows XP, unlike, say, Windows 98, treats these sticks as mass storage devices ... a nearly generic treatment. Windows use of drivers is not as elegant as Macintosh, but you should have not experienced these problems.

I would suggest you back up your data and install Windows from scratch, and follow up with SP2.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC won't recognize USB memory stick - Problem solved

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »