Advanced search function for Word wanted
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:18
German to English
Feb 1, 2006

Does anyone know of an add-in or programme which allows you to search for symbols and subscripts in a Word document? I have Word 2000.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Word 2000 Feb 1, 2006

I have Word 2000, and if I understand your question, it can do both.

Symbols: find out what their equivalent number is (not sure what the number is technically called, but the German opening quotes, for example, are found under ALT-0132). You should be able to use this code to enter the symbol into the search box.

As for subscript, if you call up the Search/Replace box in Word, it offers a button "Erweitern" (Expand?). Then use the Format button to choose font styles an
... See more
I have Word 2000, and if I understand your question, it can do both.

Symbols: find out what their equivalent number is (not sure what the number is technically called, but the German opening quotes, for example, are found under ALT-0132). You should be able to use this code to enter the symbol into the search box.

As for subscript, if you call up the Search/Replace box in Word, it offers a button "Erweitern" (Expand?). Then use the Format button to choose font styles and select subscript (in German: Format>Zeichen, tiefgestellt). If you have not entered any text in the search/replace boxes, you can use this function to make global format changes ("Change all subscript to outline small caps" if you want a bit of fun) without changing the content of the text.
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ASCII 850 Feb 1, 2006

Here you'll find all the ASCII-codes for symbols:
http://www.mipraso.de/enzyklopaedie/c/cp-850.html

Look in the column "Char" and you'll find in the column "Dez" LEFT OF IT the concerning ASCII code.

You get the symbol by holding the Alt key and hitting the ASCII code on you numerical key block on the right of your keyboard. In case it doesn't work,
... See more

Look in the column "Char" and you'll find in the column "Dez" LEFT OF IT the concerning ASCII code.

You get the symbol by holding the Alt key and hitting the ASCII code on you numerical key block on the right of your keyboard. In case it doesn't work, hit the "Num Lock" key once.
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 1, 2006

OK, I'll read the manual next time

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
The plot thickens ... Feb 1, 2006

Henk Peelen wrote:
You get the symbol by holding the Alt key and hitting the ASCII code on you numerical key block on the right of your keyboard. In case it doesn't work, hit the "Num Lock" key once.

This is not the full story. In the table you refer to, I can't find the German opening quotes (which look like 2 commas very close together). In fact, I can't find English typographical quotes either.
It seems that these have higher ASCII codes (0132 for German opening quotes, 0147 for English opening quotes/German closing quotes, 0148 for English closing quotes, 0150 for British/German dash etc.)

Strangely, these higher ASCII symbols do not work in the incarnation of Word 2000 on my desktop (although I can copy/paste them in from other programs). But they do work in Word 2000 on my laptop (even though it is more complicated to get there because the laptop has no separate numerical keypad). And they work fine in DejaVuX on either machine. And on the desktop they work fine in MS Publisher 2000 (so it seems to be just Word that has "gone round the bend").

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
¿?¿? Feb 1, 2006

Victor Dewsbery wrote:
Strangely, these higher ASCII symbols do not work in the incarnation of Word 2000 on my desktop (although I can copy/paste them in from other programs).

Because Germany is a car nation, your incarnation machine probably works better with the ASCII 437 set:
http://www.mipraso.de/enzyklopaedie/c/cp-437.html
?

With other words: could it be keyboard dependent? As far as I know the ASCII 850 code set is apllicable erverywhere.

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Lost in codes Feb 1, 2006

Henk Peelen wrote:
Victor Dewsbery wrote:
Strangely, these higher ASCII symbols do not work in the incarnation of Word 2000 on my desktop (although I can copy/paste them in from other programs).

Because Germany is a car nation, your incarnation machine probably works better with the ASCII 437 set:
http://www.mipraso.de/enzyklopaedie/c/cp-437.html ?
With other words: could it be keyboard dependent? As far as I know the ASCII 850 code set is applicable erverywhere.

Puns aside, the result is even more unnerving than I thought. The table you quote does in fact give me the British opening quote (ALT-34 works in Word, but gives different results elsewhere). But the table does not include the German opening quote or the English closing quote.

The issue of code sets and ASCII symbols seems more complicated than I am comfortable with.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Lost in space Feb 1, 2006

Now I've got round to trying it again following your instructions I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to search for a small phi. Apparently this is Alt + 1005 (http://goldennumber.net/phisymbol.htm ). I open the Word search function, set the numerical keyboard lock on my laptop, press Alt and at the same time press 1005, and nothing happens at all. Have I misunderstood some basic aspect of the inst... See more
Now I've got round to trying it again following your instructions I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to search for a small phi. Apparently this is Alt + 1005 (http://goldennumber.net/phisymbol.htm ). I open the Word search function, set the numerical keyboard lock on my laptop, press Alt and at the same time press 1005, and nothing happens at all. Have I misunderstood some basic aspect of the instructions here? I tried doing just Alt + 1, apparently a smiley face, but with the same lack of results.Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps you can brew your own Feb 1, 2006

Anne Koth wrote:
Now I've got round to trying it again following your instructions I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to search for a small phi. Apparently this is Alt + 1005 (http://goldennumber.net/phisymbol.htm ). I open the Word search function, set the numerical keyboard lock on my laptop, press Alt and at the same time press 1005, and nothing happens at all. Have I misunderstood some basic aspect of the instructions here? I tried doing just Alt + 1, apparently a smiley face, but with the same lack of results.

In Word you can select Insert>Symbol (Einfügen>Symbol), and your phi symbol is there in the table, and you can define your own short cut to it. But this short cut then probably only works in Word (in DejaVuX I have to choose a different code set before I can even see the symbol).

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Use the Character Map application Feb 2, 2006

Anne Koth wrote:

Now I've got round to trying it again following your instructions I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to search for a small phi. Apparently this is Alt + 1005

No, it's ALT+966. To find out the code for any character simply use the Character Map application (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map).
You can also use http://de.selfhtml.org/html/referenz/zeichen.htm
to find out the code.

If you know the Unicode value, you can use it as a search parameter in Word. E.g. ^u966 will find all occurences of the lower case letter phi.

Olaf

[Edited at 2006-02-02 17:32]

Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Try this: Feb 3, 2006

Anne Koth wrote:

Now I've got round to trying it again following your instructions I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to search for a small phi. Apparently this is Alt + 1005 (http://goldennumber.net/phisymbol.htm ). I open the Word search function, set the numerical keyboard lock on my laptop, press Alt and at the same time press 1005, and nothing happens at all.

Try typing 3c6 into Word or any of its dialog boxes, and then press Alt+x. Note that this is the hex code, not decimal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search function for Word wanted

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »