Mobile menu

Problem accessing one website and with email in Outlook 2002
Thread poster: Jackie Bowman

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 22:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2006

I would appreciate any suggestions here.

I use Outlook 2002 in Windows XP to download emails from the ‘’ service in Spain. As far as I can determine, I am still receiving mail, but now I always get a dialogue box in Outlook asking me, repeatedly, to enter the network password for terra mail. This did not happen before, and no matter how many times I click OK, the same message reappears.

Plus, I can no longer access the actual terra website. This was an abrupt change. In both Firefox and IE I get a message saying ‘unable to connect’. I cannot connect to the site on either of the two desktops in my house, nor my laptop. But I can do it from the PC in my office, and so can everyone else in my office from their PCs.

Have I somehow blocked access to this site across my entire home network? Where would I start to look to locate the source of the problem? Naturally, I tried turning of Norton but I still had no success.

I’m concerned that perhaps I am not receiving all mails.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote
Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:49
English to Spanish
Problema con tu conexión Feb 24, 2006

Por lo que cuentas, tienes un problema con la conexión de tu casa. Tienes ADSL con Terra? ó una conexión via modem?

Evidentemente tendrás una línea con Telefónica. Mira a ver si funciona. Si es así, y tienes ADSL es que hay un problema con la ADSL. Supongo que la tienes con TErra así que llama a Atención al cliente, y deberían comprobar si tienes un problema con la línea. Si sólo te pasase con un ordenador sería un problema localizado, pero como es con todos es un problema de la línea. Y si puedes, cambiate a Telefónica. El servicio es mucho mejor.

Jackie Bowman

Spanish to English
+ ...
Acceder a Terra Feb 25, 2006

Muchas gracias, Noelia, per creo que el problema no es con la ADSL. Sí tengo DSL pero no con Terra porque no estoy en España. He trabajado así por varios años sin problema. Pero de repente, Terra es el único sitio al cual no puedo acceder. Me parece que por alguna razón, lo he bloqueado para TODOS los ordenedores en casa – no tengo la más minima idea como lo hice. Pero de todos modos gracias por la respuesta …

Could be a host file Feb 26, 2006

I don't read Spanish so I don't know if your problem is resolved, but...

It could be that something modified what's called a hosts file, which can block sites. In XP the file is located at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

It is a plain text file, and must be called hosts, with no extension (such as hosts.txt). If it contains a line something like

then the hosts file is blocking that domain. represents your computer. If the line has something other than, such as

then that tells the computer when you want to go to, to go directly to IP address If that number is wrong, you won't end up at

Either way, you can delete the line.

There are malicious viruses, trojans, and what have you that modify the hosts file without your permission.

[Edited at 2006-02-27 05:47]

Jackie Bowman

Spanish to English
+ ...
Host file Feb 26, 2006

Many thanks. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense and I suspect that the approach you mention is very much along the right lines. I checked the hosts file. There are a lot of entries (many of them put there by various anti-spyware progs, I imagine) but there is no reference to terra, or anything obviously similar, or even anything from ‘.es’.

Nonetheless, as I say, I think your approach is probably right and I’ll keep pursuing it.

Thanks a mill for the tip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem accessing one website and with email in Outlook 2002

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs