Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:27
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 28, 2006

Dear all

I back up my work and other important files on a regular basis (I learned my lesson by now, however I really want to back up my complete hard drive (one partition only: C).
When I try using the back up wizard of Windows XP I am asked to back up on diskettes... this is not an option I think (would take an enormous amount of disks). I read about a flash memory key (1GB)... is that an option and can it be
... See more
Dear all

I back up my work and other important files on a regular basis (I learned my lesson by now, however I really want to back up my complete hard drive (one partition only: C).
When I try using the back up wizard of Windows XP I am asked to back up on diskettes... this is not an option I think (would take an enormous amount of disks). I read about a flash memory key (1GB)... is that an option and can it be used easily (without days of transferring files that is).
I look forward to your replies and suggestions.

[Edited at 2006-02-28 16:11]
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
External hard disk Feb 28, 2006

If you really want to back up your entire hard drive and not just the documents your best bet would be an external hard drive. Flash memory keys will not have enough memory. External hard drives are not too expensive and it is a valuable investment.

Cheers,
Ines

Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just noticed that too Feb 28, 2006

When checking my hard drive: I've used 15 Gb already (oh dear me)...
Can you recommend which external hard drives to use and if they are 'user friendly'?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2006-02-28 16:37]

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
Italian to English
+ ...
full system backup Feb 28, 2006

Mine's 160GB and cost me around EUR 80.00 from Amazon. A bargain.

[Edited at 2006-02-28 16:39]

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
why external Feb 28, 2006

why would you need an external drive rather than the second internal hard disk? Unless you want to take it with you so that it cannot be stolen from the room where your desktop stands or prevent it from burning in case of fire.

You can either back up your partition to another partition on the same disc or to a separate hard disc. First of all move contents of your documents and settings folder to a partition differen
... See more
why would you need an external drive rather than the second internal hard disk? Unless you want to take it with you so that it cannot be stolen from the room where your desktop stands or prevent it from burning in case of fire.

You can either back up your partition to another partition on the same disc or to a separate hard disc. First of all move contents of your documents and settings folder to a partition different than the system partition, especially My Documents. In case of system crash you will not have to worry about your data.

Than you have a choice to back up only your data or the whole system/partition using programmes such as Norton Ghost or Paragon Drive Backup. I back up my documents every day with a programme Syncback (freeware) and some time ago I backed up the system partition (with a relatively fresh system) so that I can return to it when the system crashes unreversibly. I would not do frequent backups of the system partition. Once in a while it is worth some effort to have a copy of a well-functioning system, but that is all.

Piotr
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
advantage of external Mar 1, 2006

Piotr Sawiec wrote:
why would you need an external drive rather than the second internal hard disk?

Internal might be somewhat faster - not a big issue for daily backups. The advantage of external is that if suddenly your PC goes dead, you should still be able to finish that urgent and large project that you must deliver tomorrow, just by plugging it in the usb port of a friend's pc.

I feel effortlessly safe with my 160GB USB HD + Acronis backup software.

[Edited at 2006-03-01 19:48]

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
A good friend needed :-) Mar 1, 2006

Luca Tutino wrote:
The advantage of external is that if suddenly your PC goes dead, you should still be able to finish that urgent and large project that you must deliver tomorrow, just by plugging it in the usb port of a friend's pc.

You are right, this way you are safe. Provided that you use this HD as your main one, to which you save all documents that you work on. But external drives can fail too, so in my opinion you should have two discs. You can also synchronise them in a real time, and this way you will have this option to go to your friend and finish the document. And what do they say if you have to work overnight?

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Full system back up

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »