Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:58
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mar 15, 2006

I finally purchased and set up an external hard drive. Unfortunately it does not come complete with any backup software.
So far I have used Genie Backup Manager Pro 6. It was excellent for backing up data on Cds and DVDs but I have a sneaking suspicion it cannot perform a full system backup.
Can any of you advise me on the backup software issue. I am not an overly technical girl (well, my family and friends seem to think that I am techical geek, but that is probably because they would not be able to tell a folder from a file) so I would appreciate a really simple program, the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
English to Swedish
+ ...
PowerQuest Drive Image 7 Mar 15, 2006

Can be picked up for next to nothing at Ebay, same stuff as current Norton.

"My Solution" on

(The other program I use for my solution is PowerQuest Partition Magic, also available on Ebay for peanuts.)

[Edited at 2006-03-15 13:09]

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
See previous forum Mar 15, 2006

Hi Ines,
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for, but a recent thread that you can read here might help.

[Edited at 2006-03-15 11:32]

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
You may have it. Mar 15, 2006

If your computer is running under Windows XP PRO it is included and should be installed. Check in System tools.If you have Window XP Home edition and still retain the original CD you can find Microsoft's backup in folder 'VALUEADDED/MSFT/NTBACKUP. Double-click the file NTBACKUP.MSI and let the installation run.
Read the included Readme-file also. There is slight limitation that you may want to know about.

Good Luck!

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Norton Ghost Mar 15, 2006

I used Norton Ghost10 yesterday to clone my hard-disks.
It can also be used for backups via a network.
Symantec's software is not free, but not that expensive either.

Xiangdong Zhuo
Local time: 11:58
English to Chinese
what you ought to back up is the data you generated Mar 16, 2006

Why do you want to back up all your system? That is too expensive. All you need to remain is your data.
To back up all your system, the best solution is create a image file for the whole data on disk you wish to back up.
Be ware that when you restore the image file to the disk the current data will loss. So perhaps you will love to back up all your system everyday.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Full system backup software

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs