https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/44265-hp_laserjet_3330_does_not_print_cyrillic.html

HP Laserjet 3330 does not print Cyrillic
Thread poster: John Romanski
John Romanski
John Romanski
United States
Local time: 06:33
Member (2003)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2006

My new HP Laserjet 3330 does not print Cyrillic text correctly (the text is garbled), but it prints Latian, Greek and Asian languages OK. I use MS Office 2005 under Windows XP. Russian documents (either .doc or .PDF) appear correctly on the screen, and I was able to print them before I upgraded the computer and the printer. Am I missing fonts? If so, how to instal them? Do I require any specific settings for the printer? Any suggestions will be h... See more
My new HP Laserjet 3330 does not print Cyrillic text correctly (the text is garbled), but it prints Latian, Greek and Asian languages OK. I use MS Office 2005 under Windows XP. Russian documents (either .doc or .PDF) appear correctly on the screen, and I was able to print them before I upgraded the computer and the printer. Am I missing fonts? If so, how to instal them? Do I require any specific settings for the printer? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
John Romanski, Ph.D., [email protected]
Collapse

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 09:33
English
But "what" does not print? Mar 26, 2006

An important question is what does not print? Word docs you've created? PDFs from others? That kind of thing...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Very possibly your driver is substituting fonts by printer fonts Mar 26, 2006

The default setting for many printer drivers is to substitute ttf fonts by printer fonts. If they do so, most certainly all non western languages will be printed incorrectly, as the printer font is always western, unles otherwise specified.

To get rid of that install the latest HP driver for your printer. Then go to the printer properties and look through all advanced options. Deselect everything, what says something like "Substitute TTF with printer font" or selet "Send TTF to prin
... See more
The default setting for many printer drivers is to substitute ttf fonts by printer fonts. If they do so, most certainly all non western languages will be printed incorrectly, as the printer font is always western, unles otherwise specified.

To get rid of that install the latest HP driver for your printer. Then go to the printer properties and look through all advanced options. Deselect everything, what says something like "Substitute TTF with printer font" or selet "Send TTF to printer as bitmap" or "Download TTF to printer" - I'm sorry I don't have a HP printer, so I don't know the exact options. But nevertheless, if you know what you are looking for, you will find it.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

John Romanski
John Romanski
United States
Member (2003)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
neither PDFs of docs print Mar 26, 2006

tlmurray wrote:

An important question is what does not print? Word docs you've created? PDFs from others? That kind of thing...

It does not print Cyrillic documents I created not PDFs received from Russian translators - the printout is garbled, full of latin characters and strange symbols, but does not contain any Cyrillic letters. Strangely enough, when I tried to update the driver, in the proposed list there is no HP LasetJet 3330 driver available in the list of available HP drivers...
Regards, John

John Romanski
John Romanski
United States
Member (2003)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no HP LasetJet 3330 driver available Mar 26, 2006

Thank you Jerzy, buy strangely enough, when I tried to update the driver, in the proposed list there is no HP LasetJet 3330 driver available in the list of available HP drivers... And the current driver does not offer any of the options you meantioned, I just reviewed all of them.
Regards, John

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is this a multifunctional printer? Mar 26, 2006

I found a diver for HP LaserJet 3300 mfp
Is this your printer?

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 09:33
English
More about the situation... Mar 26, 2006

adverbum wrote:It does not print Cyrillic documents I created not PDFs received from Russian translators. . . .

Okay, so are these documents you are typing in, for example, Word? Where you go to print them, and they are garbled? If so, tell us more about the font you're using.

You can get the latest drivers from HP's web site, if you don't see it offered in your own computer's list of printers to install.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed no option for fonts substitution Mar 26, 2006

this is HP...

I found driver for LaserJet 3300 here.
Maybe you could try to install PostScript driver instead of PCL. Postscript is not that limited, as the most HP drivers are.

HTH
Jerzy

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
English to Russian
It's a printer driver problem Mar 27, 2006

I agree with Jerzy - try to install PS driver, for example from Adobe (they usually include PS driver into Acrobat package). Also contact HP support and write them about your problem

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
German to English
+ ...
PPD files Mar 27, 2006

According to:

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/productslj.php

the HP Laserjet 3330 uses "the Postscript printer language and are supported by PPD files".

P
... See more
According to:

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/productslj.php

the HP Laserjet 3330 uses "the Postscript printer language and are supported by PPD files".

PPD files downloadable from:

www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=204
http://amistad.kyocera.co.uk/pages/info/kdl/utilities.asp?Mode=Query&Type=Windows%20PPD%20files

(Post by Linux user who doesn't own a printer)
Collapse

marian4eto (X)
marian4eto (X)
English
solved problem with the cyrillic printing with hp laser jet 3330 Apr 26, 2008

Just want to say that I had the same problem with my hp laser jet 3330..it couldn't print in cyrillic!

but i solved the problem downloading the posts crypt from the original page

good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HP Laserjet 3330 does not print Cyrillic

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »