Thunderbird and attachments
Thread poster: Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:24
Dutch to French
+ ...
Mar 30, 2006

I am actually forced to work on my laptop, on Firefox/Thunderbird (both v1.0.6).

Whenever a message comes in with an attachment, that is, most of the time, there is always a file called "Part 1.2" (or 1.3 or 1.4, I haven't been able to pinpoint a sequence in the numbers) included in it.

I have never noticed this on my desktop and wonder whether there is something I have activated somewhere. I've gone through all the parameters but just can't find where this might come from. It isn't really a big deal but can get quite annoying when yr "workfile" contains several of these.

Does anyone have an idea, and, most important, how can I get rid of them from the beginning ?

Tks
Elisabeth

Direct link Reply with quote

Jiri383
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Signature Mar 30, 2006

Hi Elisabeth,

the same attachments occur on my PC since I also use Thunderbird. I was told that this is a signature that some mail programs cannot identify as such. So if you run another mail program on your PC, this is obviously able to identify this signature. So you didn't activate something by mistake - but I don't know if you can do anything against the occurence of the "Parts". I just ignore them ...

Regards,
Ute

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:24
German to English
+ ...
TNEF Mar 30, 2006

Have a look at:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments

Seems the only way to stop them is to ask people sending you emails from Outlook to disable TNEF.

Looking back through my mails, the only "Part 1.2" I've so far found was attached to an email confirmation.

Part 1.2 file:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;roberttucker@fastmail.fm
Original-Recipient: rfc822;rfc822
Original-Message-ID:
Disposition: manual-action/MDN-sent-manually; displayed

[Edited at 2006-03-30 10:04]

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Mac users Mar 30, 2006

Hi Elisabeth,

I noticed this when receiving mail from clients or colleagues who work on Mac computers. I have found no explanation until then, though, an no mean to get rid of it.

Sylvain

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bingo ! Mar 30, 2006

Robert Tucker wrote:

Have a look at:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments

Seems the only way to stop them is to ask people sending you emails from Outlook to disable TNEF.

I had a look at this article and the solution was right there ! It is not a question of TNEF on my side, but an AVG problem.
I threw out AVG and the "part" files have gone !

On my desktop, I don't have AVG, and I don't have those "part" files either... So as soon as I saw the AVG name, I knew this was the problem !

Thanks Robert !

Hope this will also help others with the same problem

Elisabeth

[Edited at 2006-03-30 10:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird and attachments

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs