Glossary extraction - terms and phrases
Thread poster: Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2006

Can anyone recommend any glossary extraction tools - terms and phrases

Most of the tools I have found can only handle single terms.

Or does any one have any Macros that will allow me to mark text to be extracted.

Or how do You create glossaries from multiple file?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
Do it by hand, it is easy Apr 20, 2006

In Word, mark every expression that you want to extract in another colour. Use F4 to repeat this action. Then search &replace: search for everything that is black and replace this by ^p (paragraph separator).
You will obtain a list of expressions. Copy and paste this list in an Excel file. Then do the same in the other langage (be sure to have the same number of expressions), and copy this list in the second column of the Excel file. If necessary, export this Excel file in .txt (for use in Wordfast, for instance).

[Edited at 2006-04-22 21:01]

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:00
English to Spanish
SDL Phrasefinder Apr 21, 2006

Hi

As far as I know, this is much simpler than the Trados equivalent. It may not look simple at the begining but it is indeed after a couple of times and it is also very intuitive.

Unfortunately, it does no come in a buddle when you buy SDL and you have to pay extra.

If you are not going to create a huge glossary in different languages, you may do without it though and do it manually using SDL Termbase (if you buy SDL 2006). An added advantage, is that if you buy Trados, you get SDL free.

Kind regards,

Marta

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two options Apr 21, 2006

Chris Phillips wrote:
Can anyone recommend any glossary extraction tools - terms and phrases. Most of the tools I have found can only handle single terms.

ExtPhr32 by Tim Craven. Specify the max length of the phrase. Requires MS Windows, and a plaintext source file. Very fast. Extracts in all uppercase.

PlusTools by Yves Champollion. Requires MS Word, and a source file readable by MS Word. Rather slow. Extracts with case intact.

Simon Sobrero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:00
Italian to English
+ ...
SDL Phrasefinder Nov 11, 2007

Hi Chris,

Have a look at my posting on:

http://www.proz.com/topic/72526?pg=e

basically I have bought SDL Phrasefinder but I have been unhappy with its bilingual terminology extraction.

do you have any more information about it now? I would love to hear from you!

thanks
Simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary extraction - terms and phrases

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs