Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 18:41
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Apr 23, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Unfortunately, as I have expected and referred to in case-specific discussions at Proz, as soon as I changed my profile to the new shape (actually, on 21st of April 2006), I got no visitors. In addition, I lost 2-3 page ranking in Google standings (this latter shall be still clarified with guys, whom I paid some money for being listed in first pages of relevant Google searches). May be (I would THANK GOD, IF SO), I am mistaken with all the above. However, no visitor
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Unfortunately, as I have expected and referred to in case-specific discussions at Proz, as soon as I changed my profile to the new shape (actually, on 21st of April 2006), I got no visitors. In addition, I lost 2-3 page ranking in Google standings (this latter shall be still clarified with guys, whom I paid some money for being listed in first pages of relevant Google searches). May be (I would THANK GOD, IF SO), I am mistaken with all the above. However, no visitors in 3 days (!) make me thinking that I am right.

Kind Regards,
Levan
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:41
English to Polish
Probably the counter is not working properly Apr 23, 2006

I don't know about Google ranking but the visitor counter might not be working properly. I think Walter Landesman has just mentioned it somewhere but unfortunately I can't find his posting. Anyway, he said that he wanted to check what was going on so he made his friends visit his profile, and although they did, the counter didn't show any new visits. So most probably you've had some visitors over the past three days, it's just your counter that doesn't show them... See more
I don't know about Google ranking but the visitor counter might not be working properly. I think Walter Landesman has just mentioned it somewhere but unfortunately I can't find his posting. Anyway, he said that he wanted to check what was going on so he made his friends visit his profile, and although they did, the counter didn't show any new visits. So most probably you've had some visitors over the past three days, it's just your counter that doesn't show them

It looks like this problem concerns only the new-profile-set-as-default guys because I didn't make the new profile format the default one and both my counters are working properly (although some other things are not, but that's a different story).

Let's hope the Staff will take care of this (and some other issues that cropped up during the weekend) tomorrow

-----------------
OK, I got it: http://www.proz.com/post/332343#332343

[Edited at 2006-04-23 21:44]
Collapse

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Visitor counter Apr 23, 2006

Levan,
I just visited your profile and this is what it says at the bottom:
This profile has received 328 visits in the last month,
from a total of 174 visitors

Plus you have your own visitor counter that indicates you had 2,236 visitors

Pamela

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 10:41
English
Will have a fix for the visitor counter in the morning Apr 24, 2006

Hi Levan,

Joanna and Walter are correct, the visitor counter is currently not being incremented when visitors view the new profile format. I will post a fix up for this this afternoon. Also, I just checked your profile page's PageRank (http://www.proz.com/pro/65793) and it is still a 4.

Also, please be advised no one can guarentee you a specific ranking in search engines, so be
... See more
Hi Levan,

Joanna and Walter are correct, the visitor counter is currently not being incremented when visitors view the new profile format. I will post a fix up for this this afternoon. Also, I just checked your profile page's PageRank (http://www.proz.com/pro/65793) and it is still a 4.

Also, please be advised no one can guarentee you a specific ranking in search engines, so be cautious of companies that "guarentee" a listing withing the first X pages on search engines (unless you are using paid advertising). Just FYI, typically search engine rankings tend to jump or dip intially when major content changes occur (this may have been the reason for your #3-4 rank dip on Google). There is a good chance your ranking will be the same or better in a week or two.

Best Regards,
Justin
Collapse

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not think that is simply counter Apr 24, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I do not think that is simply the counter. (1) I got two counters as follows: (a) 'the Proz counter' and (b) 'the independent counter'. (2) And as we know, we got there list of visitors, which is much more effective with that regard. Based right on that list I said I got no new visitors.

Kind Regards,
Levan

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Apr 24, 2006

justin wrote:

Also, please be advised no one can guarentee you a specific ranking in search engines, so be cautious of companies that "guarentee" a listing withing the first X pages on search engines (unless you are using paid advertising). Just FYI, typically search engine rankings tend to jump or dip intially when major content changes occur (this may have been the reason for your #3-4 rank dip on Google). There is a good chance your ranking will be the same or better in a week or two.

Best Regards,
Justin

Hello Justin!
Yes, I realize all what you wrote above. However, the fact is that before changing my profile I could see my profile in 1st page of relevant searches. Now, as soon as I transited to the new profile, the situation is changed.
Kind Regards,
Levan

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did I say the counter is wrong? Apr 24, 2006

Pamela Peralta wrote:

Levan,
I just visited your profile and this is what it says at the bottom:
This profile has received 328 visits in the last month,
from a total of 174 visitors

Plus you have your own visitor counter that indicates you had 2,236 visitors

Pamela

Dear Pamela,

Did I say the counter is wrong? I said I got no visitors to my profile as soon as I transited to the new profile. I did not mean the counter at all. All of us got the list of visitors. So, I just checked that list and you are the sole new visitor (you 'came' from my profile). That means that none has referred to my profile through the Google or alike. Those considerations of mine are based on my previous daily experience with the list of visitors.

Kind Regards,
Levan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I did lose visitors and google ranking

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »