Mobile menu

How to use an .op file? (terminology?)
Thread poster: pcontrro

pcontrro  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
May 11, 2006

Hi,
Today I received a file with the extension .op. This is suppossed to be a glossary. I had to change its extension to .txt and just then I could open this using Notepad first and then Excel.

Do you know what kind of files these are? Can I use this with Multiterm, for instance?

I really have no idea what this is. Thanks a lot in advance!

Paola C.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 17:39
English
What's in it? May 11, 2006

A quick Google pulls up up some items (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=OP)

But what's inside of it is a key. You said you had to change its extension to .txt and open it using Notepad first and then Excel, so that implies it's some kind of tab- or comma-delimited text.

I suspect it may have been a hand-typed extension and a typo at the same time, or someone's short form for brevity, as in a text file called "operations glossary" was turned in to "gloss.op".

pcontrro  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I made it to turn it into to an excel file May 11, 2006

Hi,
Finally, I managed to turn this .op file into a .txt and then I replace some parts of the text untill I had a 3 colums file, with Source, Translation and context field. Using filters with Excel now I can use this with no major problems.
Thanks for your answer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use an .op file? (terminology?)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs