Back up on Network drives
Thread poster: Hepburn

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:31
English to French
+ ...
May 22, 2006

This follows Hynek's hepful link about what to do to speed up your Pc.
The article also mentions this:

"The best place to store your files at work is a network drive such as your N: drive. Network drives are located on a server with redundant hardware..."

This is Greek to me. What are Network files and how to save on that server?

I would also welcome information on saving files on the net. Any advice would be helpful. And also opinion about safety problems.

Thank you for your input.

Claudette

[Edited at 2006-05-22 08:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please join us in Berlin May 22, 2006

We shall be speaking about backup strategies for Windows, using external hard drives.
An external hard drive is a drive you connect to your PC via USB or firewire. With such a drive you can easily backup your data from your PC and transfer them to another PC.
However, this is not a pure network solution, the drive itself will be treated by your PC as a network drive.

Network means you need to have at least two PCs.
Connected together, using special hardware (network cards and a network switch, when you connect more than two PCs together) they build a network. All modern PCs are equipped with a networking interface. This is an Ethernet card, and when you connect two of such PCs with a special network cable, you have a network.

What this article means, is havin a special kind of network with working stations (satellite PCs) and a server. In such configuration the server is the "strongest" PC. It needs to have a powerfull hard drive system and a fast processor. Redundant means, that the hard drives are mirrored and thus the data is secure there. Professioanl servers are quite expensive and IMO not quite suitable for a single person/freelancer. The TCO (total cost of ownership) of such server will be much higher then the possbile benefits. Unless you are working together with some colleagues I would only get an external HDD for data backup instead of building a network with server.

HTH
Jerzy

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Info on Network drives May 22, 2006

Thank you very much for all this information, Jerzy. I agree that the cost of a server is not justified in my case. So, I will stick to the idea of an external HD. Of course, a good USB key (memory stick) is the answer, isn't it?

Sorry I won't be able to hear more about it in Berlin...

Claudette

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A USB stick is not a solution May 22, 2006

Because of the capacity - AFAIK there are sticks up to some GB of capacity. What you need for backup are several ten of GB. For example my main backup file is over 50 GB - as far I know there are no sticks of such capacity. Beside of that, an external HDD has an unbeatable price compared with a stick. Nowadays you have to pay less than 100 Euro for an external HDD with at least 200 GB of capacity.

Regards
Jerzy

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
memory stick vs external HD May 22, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote: A USB stick is not a solution

Because of the capacity - AFAIK there are sticks up to some GB of capacity. What you need for backup are several ten of GB.
eside of that, an external HDD has an unbeatable price compared with a stick. [...]

Jerzy [/quote]

I did not realise what a huge difference it makes in terms of size. Pity, memory sticks are so cute and easy to use. However, and seriously, an external disk is also safer because you cannot loose it as you can do so easily with a stick.

Things are much clearer now. Thank you, Jerzy

Claudette

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not only not so easy to loose May 22, 2006

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote: A USB stick is not a solution

Because of the capacity - AFAIK there are sticks up to some GB of capacity. What you need for backup are several ten of GB.
eside of that, an external HDD has an unbeatable price compared with a stick.

Jerzy [/quote]

I did not realise what a huge difference it makes in terms of size. Pity, memory sticks are so cute and easy to use. However, and seriously, an external disk is also safer because you cannot loose it as you can do so easily with a stick.

Things are much clearer now. Thank you, Jerzy

Claudette [/quote]

But an external HDD can be disconnected from your PC, so it is safe against viruses and other similar dangers.
To be absolutely sure: run a viren scan before you make your backup and then disconnet the drive from the PC. In this way your data is safe and could be easilly restored, if necessary.

Regards
Jerzy

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
The shape of things to come May 22, 2006

Hi Claudette, hi everyone!
Looking a little further afield or ahead, I think the day will very soon come when we keep all our files in cyberspace or, rather less exotically, on the servers of the mighty Google. This will do away with backup problems - unless one is paranoid about these things. Personally I feel there is less likelihood of Google crashing than my hard disk!

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Backup software May 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

unfortunately, I can't come to Berlin to hear your presentation. Which backup software do you use? I am currently testing Backup my PC from Sonic. It does not recognise my 2nd internal harddrive or my USB harddrive as target drives, although it does recognise one of the card readers even though there is no card in it. Can you recommend something better?

Best regards,
Jill

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The easiest possible way May 23, 2006

Hi Jill

I´m the friend of the easiest solutions, when possible.
So I configured the Windows XP native backup software to run every day and write backup on my third (extra) internal HDD. I do not own any external HDD so far (things will change next week, as then I get one).
When you start this program (called "Sicherung" in German, located in "Start - Alle Programme - Zubehör - Systemprogramme") the assistent appears and leads you through the whole process.

After Berlin I should have a small how to as PPT or PDF - which should then be made available via ProZ.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-05-23 08:05]

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
"Datensicherung" is not in my menu! May 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for the quick answer.
Unfortunately, the Datensicherung option is not in my Zubehör menu. I've search on the net on how to solve this problem without success. How do I add it? Any ideas?

In the meantime I have found Cobian Backup (http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm) and am trying that out. It looks good so far.

cheers,
Jill

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
found it! May 23, 2006

I have now found out how to add the backup utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894/EN-US/

It has to be done manually.

Cheers
Jill

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Writely May 23, 2006

Further to what I wrote earlier ("The shape of things to come"), the next logical step would be to have online word processors, etc. in parallel with unlimited storage. As you may perhaps know, quite a few of such applications already exist but for the time being they are not quite up to scratch and leave quite a lot to be desired as far as compatability with Word is concerned.

BUT a) they are getting better and b) Word may not always be the benchmark anyway. The pick of the WPs in my opinion is Writely, recently bought up by (who else?) Google. At the moment its use is restricted to a happy few but it should be available in July (I think). I've been using it a lot in the past few months and am delighted with the results.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back up on Network drives

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs