Thread poster: Chris Michael

Chris Michael  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:30
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2006

Hi All,

Hopefully this should be an easy one

My computer can't find mshy3ge.dll and mshy32.dll for german hyphenation files.

I was brilliant enough to find a free site where I could download them and they are sitting comfortably on my desktop.

I am not brilliant enough to know where to put them.

I tried the Windows/system and windows/system32 folders and the program files/microsoft office/office folder.

To no avail....

Any suggestions welcome.

Your comrade-in-arms,

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
I think it's "system32" on XP May 25, 2006

I can't be positive, but I recently addressed a .dll problem for MetaTexis after my computer did something strange, and they had to go into the c:/windows/system32 folder. Of course it depends on which drive letter your Windows is installed on.
You might try that; at least it shouldn't mess anything up if it's the wrong location, as you can always just erase the files again if it doesn't do the trick.

Good luck. DLL problems are SO annoying!

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Could sit in .... May 25, 2006

Your drive:\ Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Proof.

Try it and Good Luck!

Local time: 19:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
You probably need to 'install' the files... May 25, 2006

Do you have hyphenation files for any other languages installed and working properly? If so, you could search for one of those (file mshy3XX.dll where XX = fr for french, for example) and then copy your .dlls to the same folder.

Having said that, it is usually necessary not to just copy these files, but actually to install them. That means they get listed in the Windows registry so Word knows where to find them (and it checks you have the appropriate licences, etc.).

To do that (under previous versions of Windows - I use Windows Me and I'm assuming XP is similar) you should open any German document in Word, launch the spell-checker, and when it say it can't find the hyphenation files and asks "Do you want to install this feature now?" answer "yes" and follow the instructions. These instructions will include you having to point the installer to the .dlls, i.e, to whichever disk/folder (or your desktop) that contains the files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to put .dll files for Microsoft Word

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs