https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/48846-some_issues_relating_to_pdf_files.html

Some issues relating to pdf files
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 12:12
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 3, 2006

Most of the times, I receive MS Word files for translation. I occasionally get pdf files for translation. I'd appreciate if someone could answer the following queries concerning PDF files:

1. What is the basic purpose and utility of creating pdf files?

2. Compressing the files proves very useful as it is much convenient to attach and download the compressed files. I tried to compress a pdf file with WinZip but in vain as its size did not reduce even by a single kb.
... See more
Most of the times, I receive MS Word files for translation. I occasionally get pdf files for translation. I'd appreciate if someone could answer the following queries concerning PDF files:

1. What is the basic purpose and utility of creating pdf files?

2. Compressing the files proves very useful as it is much convenient to attach and download the compressed files. I tried to compress a pdf file with WinZip but in vain as its size did not reduce even by a single kb. Does not WinZip support pdf files? Are pdf files compressed with a different compressing software?

3. I tried to obtain the printout of a pdf file but I was surprised to see that the entire page was blackened and the text was not visible at all. Then, I tried to get its colour printout but I again got the whole blackened page. What is the reason and how can I fix the problem?

4. Does Abby Finereader convert pdf files into ms word?

5. From where can I download the trial version of a software which is capable of effectively converting the pdf files into ms word?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:42
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Jun 3, 2006

1) Please take a look at the following article (I hope it will be helpful to you): http://www.proz.com/doc/128

2) What about compressing PDFs: it depends on the content of a PDF file (e.g. if it contains images with high resolution). The best way to reduce the size of a PDF file is using the option available in full version of Acrobat: File > Reduce file size.

3) It may depend on th
... See more
1) Please take a look at the following article (I hope it will be helpful to you): http://www.proz.com/doc/128

2) What about compressing PDFs: it depends on the content of a PDF file (e.g. if it contains images with high resolution). The best way to reduce the size of a PDF file is using the option available in full version of Acrobat: File > Reduce file size.

3) It may depend on the PDF, for example, on the software used for its creation. Probably, it contains too many images with high resolution (I had once a similar problem when my printer ran out of memory). The best solution in such cases could be sending to the printer one or two pages at a time. But this is a suggestion only.

For answers to pp.4 and 5 - see the link above.
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your informative answer Jun 3, 2006

But I had given the print order for one page only. I am awaiting the responses of other professionals also to know more about these issues.

Natalie wrote:

3) It may depend on the PDF, for example, on the software used for its creation. Probably, it contains too many images with high resolution (I had once a similar problem when my printer ran out of memory). The best solution in such cases could be sending to the printer one or two pages at a time. But this is a suggestion only.

For answers to pp.4 and 5 - see the link above.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:42
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Never have encountered like, Jun 3, 2006

but if you have a full version of Acrobat, I'd suggest to use some of the "File"- "Save as" options- you can re-save your PDF file as *.doc, *.jpg, and many other kind of files.

However, as I don't have Acrobat "reader only" installed, I don't know what options it offers.

Uldis

langclinic wrote:

But I had given the print order for one page only. I am awaiting the responses of other professionals also to know more about these issues.

आनंद
आनंद  Identity Verified
English to Hindi
One Jugaar for printing Jun 4, 2006

I suggest one Jugaar for this case.
a. You can make full screen view of pdf file
b. then press print screen button of KEY BOARD for captuer the current visible area.
c. open blank powerpoint page and make it A4 Portrait page size (or the paper size your printer supports)
d. right click on blank ppt page and click 'paste', by this way you will get impage which you have captuered at that moment.
e. Adjust the pasted image according to page size.
f. Rep
... See more
I suggest one Jugaar for this case.
a. You can make full screen view of pdf file
b. then press print screen button of KEY BOARD for captuer the current visible area.
c. open blank powerpoint page and make it A4 Portrait page size (or the paper size your printer supports)
d. right click on blank ppt page and click 'paste', by this way you will get impage which you have captuered at that moment.
e. Adjust the pasted image according to page size.
f. Repeat the above mentioned procedure for rest of the portion of pdf file, and paste them into the same powerpoint page to get look similar of source pdf page.
g. Now print the powerpoint page.

I hope this Jugaar will work as it works always.

[Edited at 2006-06-04 17:22]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:42
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"From where can I download the trial version..." Jun 5, 2006

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/

http://www.nitropdf.com/professional/trial.asp

...etc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some issues relating to pdf files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »