Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:31
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2006

On Wikiwords there is the option of uploading personal glossaries. I wanted to try it out with one of mine, but it says there that the glossary first has to be converted on Proz.com to UTF-8, so that it displays correctly. Does anyone know how to do this?

Astrid

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Just save it with Windows Notepad Jun 3, 2006

Simply open the text file with Notepad (the text editor that comes with Windows) and choose Save as from the File menu and save it using utf-8 as encoding.

Olaf

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2006

Thanks, Olaf. I'm still trying to find Notepad on my computer, though. I used to have it on my desktop, but somebody did a new installation for me on Friday and I can't find it now.

I meantime found out that if I go to my glossary and right-click, I get an option to save it in UTF-8 format. However, I think that option is for when all the German characters on the site have been converted to Unicode, as some of them have the conversion still pending.

Astrid

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You need to convert in Proz first Jun 4, 2006

... and once it is converted (no more question mark signs etc) if will get uploaded in the proper form.

I suggest you start with a small collection - test case - first. I succeeded to upload one and the same collection three times and now have a problem of eliminating a couple of hundred entries - and so far deleting has not been implemented.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a glossary to UTF-8

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »