https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/49766-dim_laptop_screen.html

Dim laptop screen
Thread poster: Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:45
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2006

Hi all!

My Fujitsu Siemens A 1645 screen has gone almost completely black, when I start up the computer I can barely see Windows logo and log-on section. After browsing through different technical forums it seems like there could be a problem with LCD backlight or inverter. I tried connecting the laptop to the monitor of my PC; at first it seems to be working and the monitor displays Windows start-up data, but then the picture disappears and a message comes up "RGB No input signal"
... See more
Hi all!

My Fujitsu Siemens A 1645 screen has gone almost completely black, when I start up the computer I can barely see Windows logo and log-on section. After browsing through different technical forums it seems like there could be a problem with LCD backlight or inverter. I tried connecting the laptop to the monitor of my PC; at first it seems to be working and the monitor displays Windows start-up data, but then the picture disappears and a message comes up "RGB No input signal".

I bought the laptop in Latvia, but now I am living in Norway and I don't think my warranty would be applicable here, besides LED problems are only covered for 1 year:(.

Does anyone have any idea about how much a replacement part could cost, is it even worth bringing the laptop to a repair shop?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:45
German to English
May be video card Jun 20, 2006

As I understand it, the CRT you've connected the laptop to is indicating "RGB No input signal". This means that a color signal is not being transmitted to the screen. If you're not getting an image on either monitor, then it's not the LCD screen. I would imagine that a video card for a laptop would be cheaper than an LCD screen. If the rest of your computer, apart from the screen, is covered by the warranty, it might be worth trying to get it repaired. The logistics might be difficult, however.... See more
As I understand it, the CRT you've connected the laptop to is indicating "RGB No input signal". This means that a color signal is not being transmitted to the screen. If you're not getting an image on either monitor, then it's not the LCD screen. I would imagine that a video card for a laptop would be cheaper than an LCD screen. If the rest of your computer, apart from the screen, is covered by the warranty, it might be worth trying to get it repaired. The logistics might be difficult, however.
Good luck!
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 00:45
... Jun 20, 2006

I had a similar problem with a different laptop brand - once the back light goes, that's pretty much the end of it. I was given a replacement laptop instead. Maybe a new graphics card driver might help, but it is no guarantee.

Emma Grubb
Emma Grubb  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:45
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
In my case it was the inverter..... Jun 20, 2006

I had a Toshiba laptop with the same problem - I could only see the screen by shining a lamp directly on it.

I presumed it was the backlight and asked a (computer-whizz) friend to have a look at it. His response was:

"I had to take it apart and reseat the inverter cables".

This doesn't mean anything to me (I don't have a clue about these things!), but perhaps it might help someone who knows a bit about hardware.....

The problem was fixed withou
... See more
I had a Toshiba laptop with the same problem - I could only see the screen by shining a lamp directly on it.

I presumed it was the backlight and asked a (computer-whizz) friend to have a look at it. His response was:

"I had to take it apart and reseat the inverter cables".

This doesn't mean anything to me (I don't have a clue about these things!), but perhaps it might help someone who knows a bit about hardware.....

The problem was fixed without even having to buy any new parts.

Good luck!
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 18:45
English to Russian
+ ...
One simple step to try Jun 21, 2006

Austra,
Try to press and hold Fn button in the left bottom corner of the keyboard and while holding press F8 several times. It helps with my Gateway screen when it goes dim, but it was never near black though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dim laptop screen

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »