Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Most reliable anti-spyware/adware
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2006

I currently use the freeware version of Ad-adware SE, but it doesn't do automatic updates and have had some cookie trackers as a result. I would prefer not to have to upgrade to the fee-paying version.
What would the next best be, a software that is easy on memory and that offers automatic updates?

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:40
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
PC Magazine benchmarks Jul 1, 2006

Hi

I would suggest reading the benchmarks of PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com) to find out about the best products that match your needs.

eva75 wrote:

I currently use the freeware version of Ad-adware SE, but it doesn't do automatic updates and have had some cookie trackers as a result. I would prefer not to have to upgrade to the fee-paying version.
What would the next best be, a software that is easy on memory and that offers automatic updates?

duraid
duraid
Australia
Local time: 20:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
Spyware Terminator Jul 1, 2006

Try Spyware Terminator , its free and good
http://www.spywareterminator.com/

But if you want to buy one, then nothing can beat spyware doctor.

http://www.pctools.com/

Regards

Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can update it yourself Jul 1, 2006

eva75 wrote:

I currently use the freeware version of Ad-adware SE, but it doesn't do automatic updates and have had some cookie trackers as a result.

Hi eva75,

I use that free version too, and I always look for updates before running it (by clicking on "Search for updates"). Do you do that?

Another good option is Spybot-Search & Destroy, and it's also free.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
XoftSpy Jul 1, 2006

I have been using it for almost two years now, and my system is clean. It regularly makes automatic database updates (but I think all do, no?), is affordable, and doesn't hold too much disk space. I have very recently upgraded to XoftSpySE with a bonus registry cleaning tool included in the package (but the offer may not be up anymore). It also offers some free tools, I guess. Just check the XoftSpy websiteXoftSpy website if interested.Collapse

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HitMan Pro + Trend Micro Jul 1, 2006

Sabrina Ciserchia wrote:

Hi eva75,

I use that free version too, and I always look for updates before running it (by clicking on "Search for updates"). Do you do that?

Another good option is Spybot-Search & Destroy, and it's also free.

Thanks for your help. In the meanwhile, I've asked a professional in IT, who told me to download HitMan Pro (from a Dutch company) but only choose Ad-adware SE and Spybot (these are THE two best FREEWARE programmes) from the list (most of the others are not freeware versions and will expire).

Also doing a Trend Micro scan along with that once a week will get you the cleanest system!

[Edited at 2006-07-01 22:11]

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further Protection Jul 1, 2006

Users should also try Trojan Hunter or Ewido to get more comprehensive protection, as well as the Rootkit revealer.

Check out this very useful link:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#2

[Edited at 2006-07-01 19:58]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
Well... Jul 1, 2006

(...) (these are THE two best programmes) (...);

Not any more apparently; Webroot's Spy Sweeper it's currently winning all benchmarks. Highly recommendable (tough not free naturally).

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, XoftSpy Jul 2, 2006

I love this program. I use it in conjunction with Registry Mechanic and haven't had any problems with my computer since. It's clean as a whistle and runs like a top!

Özden Arıkan wrote:

I have been using it for almost two years now, and my system is clean. It regularly makes automatic database updates (but I think all do, no?), is affordable, and doesn't hold too much disk space. I have very recently upgraded to XoftSpySE with a bonus registry cleaning tool included in the package (but the offer may not be up anymore). It also offers some free tools, I guess. Just check the XoftSpy website if interested.

[Edited at 2006-07-02 00:59]

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Importance of protection against Trojans Jul 2, 2006

You need something like Trojan Hunter also installed. Did a scan last night with Trojan Hunter and it showed up three potentially dangerous objects! Antispyware and a-adware is not enough.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ewido Jul 2, 2006

eva75 wrote:

Users should also try Trojan Hunter or Ewido to get more comprehensive protection, as well as the Rootkit revealer.

I'm very happy with Ewido. I paid for it, but it's hardly expensive. What is particularly reassuring is that fact that it is put together by those wonderful folks who brought us A.V.G.

You have to be very careful with these spyware programs, as many of them are in fact spyware in themselves. A bit like electronic 'pyramid selling', and you are the loser. Always best to Google for for feedback on these applications, which can be very revealing.

Prior to installing Ewido, I had IE telling me that I was infected and going to die. IE was certainly in a state of suspended animation itself. All it would say (because it was being told to do so) was that I MUST download 'Icantremember.exe' to clean up.

Looking at comments about that application using Opera - my main browser - suggested strongly: NO WAY!

HTH
Chris

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 2, 2006

Textklick wrote:

eva75 wrote:

I'm very happy with Ewido. I paid for it, but it's hardly expensive. What is particularly reassuring is that fact that it is put together by those wonderful folks who brought us A.V.G.

You have to be very careful with these spyware programs, as many of them are in fact spyware in themselves. A bit like electronic 'pyramid selling', and you are the loser. Always best to Google for for feedback on these applications, which can be very revealing.

Prior to installing Ewido, I had IE telling me that I was infected and going to die. IE was certainly in a state of suspended animation itself. All it would say (because it was being told to do so) was that I MUST download 'Icantremember.exe' to clean up.

Looking at comments about that application using Opera - my main browser - suggested strongly: NO WAY!

HTH
Chris

Don't worry, I have consulted experienced IT professionals about the issue, thus am savvy enough by now! Thanks anyway!

By the way, I wouldn't bother paying for any of these programmes, the differences between the freeware and fee paying versions are not that negligble.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
The answer is "you, the user" Jul 2, 2006

Software will help you, but if you are careless or ignorant enough to open strange attachments, click on popups, open spam e-mails etc., no software will help you and, in the end, you will damage your data.

Incidentally, I see no one mentioning MS's own Windows Defender, which is a transmogrified version of AntiSpyware.

How many of you have it installed? How do you find it?

Pawel Skalinski

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows Defender Jul 2, 2006

PAS wrote:

Software will help you, but if you are careless or ignorant enough to open strange attachments, click on popups, open spam e-mails etc., no software will help you and, in the end, you will damage your data.

Incidentally, I see no one mentioning MS's own Windows Defender, which is a transmogrified version of AntiSpyware.

How many of you have it installed? How do you find it?

Pawel Skalinski

I must have forgotton to mention it. I haven't installed it yet, but was recommended to so by an IT professional. If you've got Hitman Pro and Windows defender, and a Trojan protection program you are well protected.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Banishing Internet Explorer Jul 2, 2006

would already be a good thing to start.

Until a year ago, I used IE and currently run once a week Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy which always found several spyware on my computer. I found this normal.

I then banished IE, as I had got trojans, and have used since then Firefox.

Well, most of the time Adaware & Co. don't find anything more. I even don't bother to have them run once a week a
... See more
would already be a good thing to start.

Until a year ago, I used IE and currently run once a week Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy which always found several spyware on my computer. I found this normal.

I then banished IE, as I had got trojans, and have used since then Firefox.

Well, most of the time Adaware & Co. don't find anything more. I even don't bother to have them run once a week any more!

I just did a trial with Spy Sweeper, after 3 weeks I didn't any spyware-scan, just out of curiousity: 0 items found!!

[Bearbeitet am 2006-07-02 20:41]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most reliable anti-spyware/adware

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »