Thread poster: Michelle Welchons

Michelle Welchons
United States
Local time: 03:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2006

Hello All!

I am doing a transcription/translation and it's set up in two columns. Column A is everything said in English and the translation of what's been said in Spanish. Column B is what's said in Spanish.

I need to count the words I've translated (i.e. just column B), but every time I select just column B, WORD counts all of the words in the document. I also tried to copy column B and paste it into a new document, but once again, WORD copied both columns so I ended up with my original document.

Is there a way to isolate just column B so I can count just the words in Spanish? The template was formatted by the client, so I can't offer any information on the format.

Thanks in advance!!

Peace,
Michelle

Direct link Reply with quote

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 11:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
This may work Jul 29, 2006

- Save a copy of your doc.
- Delete the column that you do not want to count.
- Tools>> Word Count...

That is it.

Regards

Ahmed Wadan

Sandrinha  Identity Verified

Local time: 08:10
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Separate columns Jul 29, 2006

Hi Michelle,

Try this, sometimes I used it and it works for me. Select all the document, and change the format from 2 columns to 1 column. Then you can choose to delete one part of the text just like you can do with a «normal» word document.

Hope I help you!
Good Luck

Sandrine

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Separate the column into another document Jul 29, 2006

Go to the top of the table and position the cursor at the top of the column you want. When the cursor turns into a down arrow, that means you can click to select that column. Select it. Copy. New document (ctrl+N), paste. Do a word count on the new document.

That's how I always do it. It's not as much work as it seems.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 09:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
safe way to do Jul 29, 2006

(even if it looks daring)

i. delete the column you do not want in the count
ii. count
iii. press undo (i.e. ^Z)

Michelle Welchons
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all! Jul 29, 2006

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Such an easy problem to fix, and me... well, complicating things.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's responses, you all helped a lot, and I have now successfully completed a very simple task, haha.

And Vito, that is daring!

Have a great weekend!

-Michelle

Brasiversum  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:10
German to Portuguese
+ ...
this is also my solution! Jul 30, 2006

Can Altinbay wrote:

Go to the top of the table and position the cursor at the top of the column you want. When the cursor turns into a down arrow, that means you can click to select that column. Select it. Copy. New document (ctrl+N), paste. Do a word count on the new document.

That's how I always do it. It's not as much work as it seems.

Japanese to English
+ ...
Even safer if you save first :-) Jul 30, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

(even if it looks daring)

i. delete the column you do not want in the count
ii. count
iii. press undo (i.e. ^Z)

A lot of things can happen when you're on a computer.

Japanese to English
+ ...
It's OK! Jul 30, 2006

Michelle Welchons wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Such an easy problem to fix, and me... well, complicating things.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's responses, you all helped a lot, and I have now successfully completed a very simple task, haha.

-Michelle

I spent 25 years doing all kinds of work around computers. Most often, I can find easy(ish) ways to do things I need. Occasionally, I get into an odd way of thinking about it and go around it the hard way. It happens. Our colleagues here are a great resource and have a lot of experience and knowledge, and are kind enough to help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Count - one of multiple Columns

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs