https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/52676-how_to_block_an_ip_address.html

How to block an IP address
Thread poster: Laura Iovanna
Laura Iovanna
Laura Iovanna
Local time: 23:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 5, 2006

Hello everybody!
Do you know what to do in order to block an IP address from visiting your Proz.com profile? I am sure I have seen somewhere this possibility but I can no longer find this option.
Thank you for your help and have a nice weekend!
Laura

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why would you want to block anybody from seeing your profile,hm,Laura? Aug 5, 2006

Why do you want to block anybody from seeing your profile?Then,it is like that ,that if somebody has a dynamic IP adress,you cannot block him or her at all from seeing anything in any kind of homepage.It is only questioon of a dynamic IP adress.

[Módosítva: 2006-08-05 07:25]

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
flag and filter option:has it not been invented for that particular purpose? Aug 5, 2006

Laura Iovanna wrote:

Hello everybody!
Do you know what to do in order to block an IP address from visiting your Proz.com profile? I am sure I have seen somewhere this possibility but I can no longer find this option.
Thank you for your help and have a nice weekend!
Laura

Again,somethinbg else came to my mind,and I think that is the soluution:

There is this flag and filter option.Has it not been invented for that particular purpose?Or am I wrong?

Laura Iovanna
Laura Iovanna
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
annoyance Aug 5, 2006

Gábor Széles wrote:

Why do you want to block anybody from seeing your profile?Then,it is like that ,that if somebody has a dynamic IP adress,you cannot block him or her at all from seeing anything in any kind of homepage.It is only questioon of a dynamic IP adress.

[Módosítva: 2006-08-05 07:25]

Well, this person is creating me problems, she visits my profile at least 20 times a day, she is using my mobile numbers (both Belgian and Italian) all the times (ringing and hanging up), I am receiving anonymous emails. After weeks of research I got her name... maybe she will not stop ringing me but I want to stop her visiting my website, that's all.
When I am fed up with it, I will go to the Belgian police to report all her details...
By the way, how do I recognize a dynamic IP address? Obviously I have her IP number, I know she is using it from her workplace, that's all I know.

Thanks for your help
Laura

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 00:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Here is the way... Aug 5, 2006

Hi Laura,

Here is the way:

- Open your profile
- Click Settings
- Click Email preferences
- Write down the IP or ID
- Click Update

Regards

Ahmed wadan

[Edited at 2006-08-05 08:04]

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
banning/blocking IPs Aug 5, 2006

What you are speaking -or sorry,writing-about,seems to be quite crazy for me .You seem having to face with a systematic troublemaker who is just about to desperate each and every day of you.Am I right?In a well-known a Hungarian chat site I earlier happened to visit quite often there are chat moderators appointed by chat staff from the most reliable and the oldest chatters above the age of 18,and they have each and every right to filter out such chatters,they are even allowed to ban such peop... See more
What you are speaking -or sorry,writing-about,seems to be quite crazy for me .You seem having to face with a systematic troublemaker who is just about to desperate each and every day of you.Am I right?In a well-known a Hungarian chat site I earlier happened to visit quite often there are chat moderators appointed by chat staff from the most reliable and the oldest chatters above the age of 18,and they have each and every right to filter out such chatters,they are even allowed to ban such people's ID or if that's no good for any reason,perhaps a mobile,dynamic IP than they are even allowed to delete such people's profile.
Sorry about my awwfully fast and awffully erroneous writing.

[Módosítva: 2006-08-05 07:53]

[Módosítva: 2006-08-05 07:55]
Collapse

Laura Iovanna
Laura Iovanna
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 5, 2006

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hi Laura,

Here is the way:

- Open your profile
- Click Settings
- Click Update

Regards

Ahmed wadan

Thanks a lot Ahmed! I knew I had seen somewhere this option!:-)
Laura

Laura Iovanna
Laura Iovanna
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no problem! Aug 5, 2006

Gábor Széles wrote:

What you are speaking -or sorry,writing-about,seems to be quite crazy for me .You seem having to face with a systematic troublemaker who is just about to desperate each and every day of you.Am I right?In a well-known a Hungarian chat site I earlier happened to visit quite often there are chat moderators appointed by chat staff from the most reliable and the oldest chatters above the age of 18,and they have each and every right to filter out such chatters,they are even allowed to ban such people's ID or if that's no good for any reason,perhaps a mobile,dynamic IP than they are even allowed to delete such people's profile.
Sorry about my awwfully fast and awffully erroneous writing.

[Módosítva: 2006-08-05 07:53]

[Módosítva: 2006-08-05 07:55]

Don't worry Gabor... you could not know!
Laura

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Change your mobile phone number Aug 5, 2006

I knew there was a reason I tend not to include all my details on my profile page! Good idea anyway to include a mobile phone number somewhere - at least it can easily be changed!

I do not think that visiting your profile is the thing that is bothering you - it is probably the e-mails you are receiving and the phone calls. Incredibly annoying!

Personally, I would change my mobile phone numbers even if it meant I had to tell all my clients and friends to change the numb
... See more
I knew there was a reason I tend not to include all my details on my profile page! Good idea anyway to include a mobile phone number somewhere - at least it can easily be changed!

I do not think that visiting your profile is the thing that is bothering you - it is probably the e-mails you are receiving and the phone calls. Incredibly annoying!

Personally, I would change my mobile phone numbers even if it meant I had to tell all my clients and friends to change the number. Not all clients are good at recording that as I noticed when I changed my e-mail address - but at least you will get some rest.

Good luck!
Collapse

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
If it is a dyanmic Ip Aug 10, 2006

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hi Laura,

Here is the way:

- Open your profile
- Click Settings
- Click Update

Regards

Ahmed wadan

If it is a dynamic IP (It changes every time the machine restarts or the modem is reset, or some DHCP servers have a new IP address assigned based in time – every few hours or every few minutes). You can create a mask, and block certain classes or block of IP.

for example if the annoying IP address is 192.168.1.123, then the last 3 numbers change anywhere from 192.168.1.0 to arrange of 192.168.1.255 (The maximum in an 8 bit block address = 0 to 255), then you can simply type.

Don’t forget the period at the end.
Or you can create a mask as such 192.168.1.1/16
But hen you will be blocking a WHOLE range of IP addresses.

Keep ion mind, this ONLY works if ProZ supports such TCP/IP features.

Good Luck

Mr. Arturo Pinzon
SpanishTech

Laura Iovanna
Laura Iovanna
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Aug 10, 2006

mrr2ro wrote:

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hi Laura,

Here is the way:

- Open your profile
- Click Settings
- Click Update

Regards

Ahmed wadan

If it is a dynamic IP (It changes every time the machine restarts or the modem is reset, or some DHCP servers have a new IP address assigned based in time – every few hours or every few minutes). You can create a mask, and block certain classes or block of IP.

for example if the annoying IP address is 192.168.1.123, then the last 3 numbers change anywhere from 192.168.1.0 to arrange of 192.168.1.255 (The maximum in an 8 bit block address = 0 to 255), then you can simply type.

Good Luck

Mr. Arturo Pinzon
SpanishTech

Thank you Arturo! This was a very useful information. According to what I have seen in these days it works... maybe it is not a dynamic address and I managed to block it!
But thank you for the information!
Laura

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 00:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
I agree Aug 27, 2006

mrr2ro wrote:

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hi Laura,

Here is the way:

- Open your profile
- Click Settings
- Click Update

Regards

Ahmed wadan

Good Luck

Mr. Arturo Pinzon
SpanishTech

I agree with you that in case of dynamic IP that solution will be uselless

Regards
Ahmed Wadan
http://www.arablish.com/ahmad-wadan.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to block an IP address

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »