Off topic: PayPal
Thread poster: Fernando Santos

Fernando Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:51
English to Portuguese
Sep 20, 2006

Dear colleagues,

Could you tell me if PayPal is a secure method of payment?

With the hacking that exists nowadays....

Regards,
Fernando

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In my experience, Yes Sep 20, 2006

PayPal uses Secure HTTP, which is reassuring for a start. They have somthing like 100 million accounts, and are (at least in the UK) under Government financial supervision.

In fact, the likeliest point of weakness is not PayPal, but you and your PC, if you do not protect your PC from intruders, or are careless with your password.

pcontrro  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
Yes, no problems so far Sep 20, 2006

I have used Paypal for some 3 years and the service is excellent and quite reliable. Of course, it is you the one who must take care of protecting your password and so on, but provided all necessary and logical security messures are taken, go ahead.
Great service.

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
It works for me Sep 21, 2006

I have been using Paypal over a year to receive payments: never had a single problem. Well, I also transfer the funds into my bank account as soon as I can, Somehow, I feel safer once the €€€ are deposited there…

mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 07:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes -- BUT ONLY IF YOU USE A CREDIT CARD Sep 21, 2006

Yes paypal work very good ONLY if you use a credit card.

They will insist on you to get verified by entering your checking account information. --HUGE MISTAKE -- DO NOT DO IT-

The problem is that once you get verified, no matter how many times you set your credit card to be the default form of payment, they will continue consistently to withdraw funds directly from your checking account. – My suspicion is that they do it to avoid paying the credit card vendor fees.

In my case, I got verified but once I saw all the transactions were directly applied to the checking account, I had to remove the checking account for it to default back to the credit card.

About fraud protection

In case there is a fraudulent transaction; the money will be drafted directly from your checking and it is pretty much gone. If you want to appeal or complain – PAYPAL and EBAY are known for having the worst system to take care of complaints and pretty much they will not solve your problem they will wash their hands and it is your problem and your loss.

On the other hand, if you limit your self to ONLY use a credit card as form of payment, you have the credit card protection, since paypal pretty much will not do much for you, you can count on your credit card to dispute the charges.

Arturo Pinzon - Spanish Translations - Austin texas - SpanishTech

mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 07:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
WARNING - About PayPal Security Sep 21, 2006

PayPal is one of the companies that are victims of Phishing

It means fake e-mail that look very official asking you to renew your paypal account or warning you the account will be canceled unless you renew by clicking on a link they provide and asking for bank account numbers, credit card numbers, and other information.

Never reply or use those e-mails.

Whenever you need to do anything paypal related, ALWAYS go directly to their web site by typing the URL yourself, NEVER click on a link or bookmark to get to paypal.

Here is a definition of Phishing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

Arturo Pinzon - SpanishTech Spanish Translations - Austin texas - SpanishTech

[Edited at 2006-09-21 02:30]

Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:51
Japanese to German
+ ...
Yes, I can recommend it as well. Sep 21, 2006

Same with me...

I did not experience any problems until now and used it several times. In many occasions it turned out to be quite helpful and convenient.

Agree with Paola. Only do your homebanking at your PC in your own office and keep your password safe at home. That's probably the best way to avoid problems...

Best regards,

Katrin

[Bearbeitet am 2006-09-21 06:54]

Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Good to know (thanks) - but this is a matter of many companies recently Sep 21, 2006

[quote]mrr2ro wrote:

PayPal is one of the companies that are victims of Phishing

It means fake e-mail that look very official asking you to renew your paypal account or warning you the account will be canceled unless you renew by clicking on a link they provide and asking for bank account numbers, credit card numbers, and other information.

Never reply or use those e-mails.

I can tell you...I get faked invoices by EBAY, TELEKOM...even though I do not my own account there, hahaha...

Unfortunately this is not a matter of single companies. It applies to almost every well known organization in these days...therefore true...never send any personal account numbers via mail...your personal bank will only use encrypted TANs/PINs or even RANDOM READERS.

Keeping all this in mind it is not THAT dangerous and terrible and (almost/quite) safe --at least still... ;-o

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree with Arturo Sep 21, 2006

I have come to pretty much the same conclusion.
Giuliana

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I just received Sep 21, 2006

...fake email

"We are sorry that you have to close your PayPal account. With millions of members in dozens of countries and regions across the globe, PayPal is continually improving and expanding
its award-winning services.

Should you decide you want to have a PayPal account again in the future, visit https://www.paypal.com and follow the few easy steps to open a new account. If you did not authorize your account to be closed, please update your personal information and wait an email from PayPal.

Click here to cancel and confirm

PayPal is the world's leading online money transaction service for individuals, businesses and merchants. From customized shopping carts and ATM debit cards to one-click purchases and a leading high-yield Money Market Fund, PayPal offers individual and business solutions that are time-saving, secure, cost-effective and easy-to-use.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team ."

Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
PayPal is easy, but not secure Sep 21, 2006

If you pay attention to the PayPal conditions, you will realize that in case of bankrupcy, there is no goverment nor any institution to repond for the money you have in the account. Very unusual, but it could happen.

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 23:51
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
How do you withdraw funds? Sep 21, 2006

mrr2ro wrote:
Yes paypal work very good ONLY if you use a credit card.

They will insist on you to get verified by entering your checking account information. --HUGE MISTAKE -- DO NOT DO IT-

Hi,

Just out of interest, if someone pays you money into your Paypal account, how do you withdraw the funds?

I was under the impression that the only way you could withdraw funds from your Paypal account was by transferring them to your verified bank account or by them sending a cheque to your registered address. I certainly wouldn't opt for receiving a cheque.

I've been using Paypal for about 10 years and I have never had a problem at all. Any payments I make are debited from my credit card and all the money I receive is credited to my bank account. It's perfect:)

As for the emails, this is now becoming widespread for all large financial institutions, it's not unique to Paypal. As long as you use a bit of common sense you've got nothing to worry about.

Best wishes,
Mark

[Edited at 2006-09-21 15:25]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It is as secure as anything else Sep 23, 2006

meaning XP, your Visa Card, your car, 747 you're flying next etc etc. Very much secure enough for me.

I've been using PayPal for getting payments from US and other places and never had any problem. Also used it to pay a thing or two. And yes, I do get now and then phishing mail. Does this make PayPal any less secure? Not at all. Except if you doubleclick on that attachment, enter your PayPal account details or do anything as stupid - like crossing the street on red.

Regards

[Edited at 2006-09-23 22:37]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs