Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Oct 4, 2006

Hi everybody,
I´ve been experiencing this problem for a while so far, and quite frankly, I´m pretty tired. The thing is that whenever I try to write in Word 2003 or Outlook Express 6, the configuration of my keyboard suddenly changes and I can`t find the symbols I need! For example, if I want to press SHIFT + 1 to get an exclamation mark, I get this symbol: ª . The most frustrating thing of all is to have to waste time trying all keys until I find the one I needed, not to say that I am
... See more
Hi everybody,
I´ve been experiencing this problem for a while so far, and quite frankly, I´m pretty tired. The thing is that whenever I try to write in Word 2003 or Outlook Express 6, the configuration of my keyboard suddenly changes and I can`t find the symbols I need! For example, if I want to press SHIFT + 1 to get an exclamation mark, I get this symbol: ª . The most frustrating thing of all is to have to waste time trying all keys until I find the one I needed, not to say that I am unable to find some symbols. Does any of you have any idea of what could be going on and how I could solve it? By the way, I`m using a Compaq Presario V2615LA with Windows XP Home Edition.
Many thanks to you all.
Collapse

Julie Allison
Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Change the language settings Oct 4, 2006

Débora,
Does this happen when you are using other applications? It could be that your settings for the keyboard are wrong. What I mean is that the keys are placed differently for different regions.
What can be done is to access your "Control Panel" on your notebook (Maybe it's called something slightly different on yours) and change the language settings eg English US, English UK etc.
Eg In my system, I have "Date, Time, Language and Regional Settings" and from there I can cha
... See more
Débora,
Does this happen when you are using other applications? It could be that your settings for the keyboard are wrong. What I mean is that the keys are placed differently for different regions.
What can be done is to access your "Control Panel" on your notebook (Maybe it's called something slightly different on yours) and change the language settings eg English US, English UK etc.
Eg In my system, I have "Date, Time, Language and Regional Settings" and from there I can change the langauge variation my laptop is set to.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Collapse

Benoit Frinot
Benoit Frinot
English to French
Had the same problem Oct 4, 2006

I solved this with a clean re-installation of all the system from the manufacturer's CDROM, cleaning all the undesired pieces of software they always try to impose (Symantec, PowerDVD, etc...) and applying updates of various drivers.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
English to Spanish
Language options Oct 4, 2006

Hi

If the problem is the one Benoit mentions, then I cannot advice. But if it might be a simpler one, may be what happens is that somehow your laptop is defaulting to the Spanish keyboard.

Whenever you open Word, do you get a ES in a box in the lower right hand corner of your screen? If so, that must be it.

Try going to My Computer>Control Panel>Data, Time, Language and Regional Options>Regional and Language Options>Languages>Details

If the key
... See more
Hi

If the problem is the one Benoit mentions, then I cannot advice. But if it might be a simpler one, may be what happens is that somehow your laptop is defaulting to the Spanish keyboard.

Whenever you open Word, do you get a ES in a box in the lower right hand corner of your screen? If so, that must be it.

Try going to My Computer>Control Panel>Data, Time, Language and Regional Options>Regional and Language Options>Languages>Details

If the keyboard language you want (eg EN-UK) is mentioned in the box, then set is as default scrolling to it in the first line of the window, otherwise, just add it by going to Add and searching for it and, after, set it as default.

I hope it helps

Regards

Marta

[Edited at 2006-10-04 12:31]
Collapse

Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Oct 4, 2006

I solved the problem temporarily by going to Control Panel, Date, Time and Regional Settings. It seems that by pressing Alt + Shift Left, the keyboard remembers its old configuration. However, I think I'll have to clean everything as Benoit suggests, to be sure it never happens again.
Have a nice day!

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:55
English to French
2 keyboards configured Oct 4, 2006

If Left Alt + shift works (toggles to the other keyboard), it means that you have more than one keyboard defined in your Windows installation (probably, this happens when the language of your Windows installation doesn't agree with your keyboard ?). On a laptop, you don't usually switch from one keyboard to the other, so you can probably delete the configuration that you don't need (I've done this already, no risk, you can always reconfigure additional keyboards later).
In Windows XP, I f
... See more
If Left Alt + shift works (toggles to the other keyboard), it means that you have more than one keyboard defined in your Windows installation (probably, this happens when the language of your Windows installation doesn't agree with your keyboard ?). On a laptop, you don't usually switch from one keyboard to the other, so you can probably delete the configuration that you don't need (I've done this already, no risk, you can always reconfigure additional keyboards later).
In Windows XP, I found the keyboards in Config Panel>Local Settings>Langages>Details... Maybe they are somewhere else too.
Select the keyboard that you don't need, and suppress it.
This should be easier (and safer) than a complete reinstall...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with notebook keyboard

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »