Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:11
German to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2006

Hi there,
Before my PC crashed on me and I had to reinstall everything I was able to convert from Word to PDF by clicking on the PDF icon in the Word toolbar. After the reinstallation of the new PC I have Adobe Professional 6 installed as well as Word, obviously, but don't know how to get the two connected to I can convert. Maybe a template I need to add in? Can anyone help me out on this please?
TIA
Karin

William Wu
William Wu
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Right click the Word Oct 8, 2006

Right click the word file you are going to convert, and you would find " convert to adobe PDF in the menu.

...and convet

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the PDF printer driver installed in your system Oct 8, 2006

In Word press CTRL+P for printing dialog. Chose Adobe PDF as printer driver and follow the advices on the screen (if any).
To configure Adobe PDF go to "Printer and Faxmachines" via Start-Menu, right click on the Adobe PDF symbol, chose Properties and make the appropriate settings.

HTH
Jerzy

Karin Walker (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy and William, but... Oct 8, 2006

...when I do that, I get an error message from the print queue. I have two PDF Options:

1) Adobe PDF: My settings have been set to "Standard", no security settings, Display PDF results, Enter pdf file name, Add document info, Delete log file for successful print jobs (translated from German, this). I don't see any other settings that need to be made.

2) Lexware PDF-Export (this is apparently an option in my Lexware bookkeeping program): There's no settings that can be
... See more
...when I do that, I get an error message from the print queue. I have two PDF Options:

1) Adobe PDF: My settings have been set to "Standard", no security settings, Display PDF results, Enter pdf file name, Add document info, Delete log file for successful print jobs (translated from German, this). I don't see any other settings that need to be made.

2) Lexware PDF-Export (this is apparently an option in my Lexware bookkeeping program): There's no settings that can be made here, really, beyond the default settings.
My PDF printer complains with both options. The Problem Solving application is not really any help.

Previously the procedure was really very simple, with a PDF icon in the corner in the Word toolbar. No quibbles. I wonder what's different here.

TIA
Karin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of error do you get? Oct 8, 2006

I have deleted the PDF icon from Word, because it colided with other templates, foremost with Trados.
Nevertheless, if you prefer to have this icon, go to Start - Control Panel - Software, chose Change/Remove, and then select Modify. In the following dialog you should have an item called "Create Adobe PDF". Press the plus sign beside, then a "PDF Maker" should appear. Press the plus sign beside it and press the arrow on "Microsoft Office". Chose "This feature and all subfeatures will be in
... See more
I have deleted the PDF icon from Word, because it colided with other templates, foremost with Trados.
Nevertheless, if you prefer to have this icon, go to Start - Control Panel - Software, chose Change/Remove, and then select Modify. In the following dialog you should have an item called "Create Adobe PDF". Press the plus sign beside, then a "PDF Maker" should appear. Press the plus sign beside it and press the arrow on "Microsoft Office". Chose "This feature and all subfeatures will be installed on local hard drive" and then press next. This will install the PDF creator in Word again.
This procedure is valid for Acrobat 7, but I hope Acrobat 6 is quite similar.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
If Adobe Acrobat 6 should have a different setup procedure, use the search function from Windows and look for templates *pdf*.dot (simply copy this expression into the "Search for" field). When found, place a copy of this template into Word startup folder (located on c:\document and settings\current user\application data\microsoft\word\startup - please remember that I´m referring to a german OS; in an english OS the names may vary a little).
Collapse

Karin Walker (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't find the .dot file Oct 8, 2006

Jerzy,
Thanks for your helpful comments. I searched my entire hard disk for *pdf*.dot and then just *.dot and it came up with nothing. I also followed the installation procedure you recommended and nothing changed, the icon did not appear in Word. Rather, the installation procedure appeared to repeat itself again and again, it kept prompting me to modify the installation. I did this three times and then removed the CD.
My error message from the printer is "Your document could not b
... See more
Jerzy,
Thanks for your helpful comments. I searched my entire hard disk for *pdf*.dot and then just *.dot and it came up with nothing. I also followed the installation procedure you recommended and nothing changed, the icon did not appear in Word. Rather, the installation procedure appeared to repeat itself again and again, it kept prompting me to modify the installation. I did this three times and then removed the CD.
My error message from the printer is "Your document could not be printed". I am told to open the print queue and click on Problembehebung. But as I said above, this is not exactly helpful because the options you're given don't match up to this problem. The type of program I am using is "Adobe PDF Converter" and it's compatible with Adobe Professional 6.0, which I have installed. I am at a loss...
Thanks, again, Karin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I do not have either Acrobat 6 or PDF Converter Oct 8, 2006

so I´m not sure, how it works there.

Here is what I found on the Internet:
"Installieren Sie Acrobat im Anschluss an Anwendungen, mit denen PDF-Dateien erstellt werden können. - Installieren Sie Acrobat im Anschluss an andere Anwendungen, die zum Erstellen von PDF-Dokumenten verwendet werden. Denn diese Programme installieren ältere Dateiversionen, die nicht für die PDF-Erstellungsfunktion von Acrobat geeignet sind. Acrobat Standard und Professional installieren speziellen
... See more
so I´m not sure, how it works there.

Here is what I found on the Internet:
"Installieren Sie Acrobat im Anschluss an Anwendungen, mit denen PDF-Dateien erstellt werden können. - Installieren Sie Acrobat im Anschluss an andere Anwendungen, die zum Erstellen von PDF-Dokumenten verwendet werden. Denn diese Programme installieren ältere Dateiversionen, die nicht für die PDF-Erstellungsfunktion von Acrobat geeignet sind. Acrobat Standard und Professional installieren speziellen Support für die PDF-Erstellung in folgenden Anwendungen: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint sowie Outlook. Acrobat Professional installiert außerdem speziellen Support für die PDF-Erstellung in folgenden Anwendungen: Microsoft Visio, Autodesk AutoCAD sowie Microsoft Project. Wenn Sie diese Anwendungen dennoch nach der Acrobat-Installation einrichten, können Sie die Reparaturfunktion von Acrobat verwenden, um Support für die Adobe PDF-Erstellung hinzuzufügen. Wählen Sie hierzu aus dem Hilfemenü von Acrobat 6 den Befehl "Erkennen und reparieren"."

This shall be from Readme file from Adobe.
Maybe this can help you.

Further I looked on the Adobe support page and found this. Maybe this is even better help for you.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
If you don´t find any dot-files, your Windows is configured not to show you system files. To see system files go to Start - Control Panel - Folder options, chose View and deselect the item "DO not show protected system files (recommended)" (Geschützte Systemdateien ausblenden - empfohlen) and select "Show all files and folders" under "Hidden folders and files" ("Alle Dateien und Ordner anzeigen" unter "Versteckte Dateien und Ordner").

[Edited at 2006-10-08 11:52]
Collapse

Karin Walker (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million Oct 8, 2006

Jerzy, thanks - your excellent help is much appreciated! I need to do some other stuff now and will try that out sometime this afternoon.
Kind regards
Karin

randyzou
randyzou
Local time: 23:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
hey ,check in here Oct 8, 2006

the word file is a .doc file
the pdf file is a .pdf file
so use google to download a doc2pdf software for free of charge
everything done,
don thank me
thank google

and by the way, the sometimes just insert a virtual pdf printer in your computer, you choose print on the toolbar in word, and choose the "pdf virtual " printer, then the file will be converted to the pdf format.

that is my past experience , hopes it work for you

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
Is PDF-maker listed Oct 8, 2006

in the pop-down list if you right-click on the Word toolbar? If it is select it and you should get the Adobe icon back.
In Word click 'Tools', select 'Templates and Add-ins' and 'Templates'. PDF-maker should be on the list and checked.

Good luck

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
I prefer Oct 8, 2006

Not having the pdf icons on my word s toolbar.

To save a word document as pdf I "print" it as a pdf file.

A.

Karin Walker (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent tip Oct 8, 2006

Jerzy, this did it for me:

"Wenn Sie diese Anwendungen dennoch nach der Acrobat-Installation einrichten, können Sie die Reparaturfunktion von Acrobat verwenden, um Support für die Adobe PDF-Erstellung hinzuzufügen. Wählen Sie hierzu aus dem Hilfemenü von Acrobat 6 den Befehl "Erkennen und reparieren"."

Just goes to show that the ReadMe file is there to be read... simple really, but I'm not so good on the obvious stuff!
Did the above, then a restart, and Bob w
... See more
Jerzy, this did it for me:

"Wenn Sie diese Anwendungen dennoch nach der Acrobat-Installation einrichten, können Sie die Reparaturfunktion von Acrobat verwenden, um Support für die Adobe PDF-Erstellung hinzuzufügen. Wählen Sie hierzu aus dem Hilfemenü von Acrobat 6 den Befehl "Erkennen und reparieren"."

Just goes to show that the ReadMe file is there to be read... simple really, but I'm not so good on the obvious stuff!
Did the above, then a restart, and Bob was my uncle. Remains to be seen how it behaves with Trados.dot in there too, but there never used to be any territorial issues, so maybe it'll work. I owe you a beer my man.

Thanks again
Karin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Word to pdf

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »