Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:04
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I wouldn't advise to keep backups on second internal disk. Nov 3, 2006

The only time my FAT (File Allocation Table- you can compare it to index pointing to where particular books are stored in a library) went, it went on my both internal disks simultaneously (thank you, Bill). Retrieval of data was done manually via Linux and that by far was not cheap.

So now I keep all backups on 2 external HDD, which are automatically activated only when backup process is running.

As to the system disk- I regularly (about once a month) make a full backup
... See more
The only time my FAT (File Allocation Table- you can compare it to index pointing to where particular books are stored in a library) went, it went on my both internal disks simultaneously (thank you, Bill). Retrieval of data was done manually via Linux and that by far was not cheap.

So now I keep all backups on 2 external HDD, which are automatically activated only when backup process is running.

As to the system disk- I regularly (about once a month) make a full backup copy of disk C on another HDD which I keep in my drawer. On rare occasions my C disk has crashed (but it has happened), it takes no more than 10 minutes to replace the system disk.

(For system backup I use Acronis MigrateEasy, though I guess that, say, Norton Ghost might do as well).

Uldis

Alexey Ivanov wrote:
Now I have the feeling of added security as the processor simultaneously writes onto 2 disks and in case of physical damage of one disk the information is still intact on the other disk, I have installed the OS on a separate hard drive and in case of a major crash or a virus infection can simply delete the OS and reinstall it without loss of information because all the information is on the other hard drive (plus a copy on a removable HDD).
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:04
English to Russian
Neither would I advise keeping a single backup copy on an internal HDD Nov 8, 2006

Uldis,

When I said that the processor writes onto two disks at the same time I did not mean making a backup in the usual sense of the word. It is a new system (AMD Athlon dual cell processor) with Raid feature which allows you to configure your system so that whatever your are doing the current process is shadowed on the second disk. And in case of a crash of the system which I keep on a separate system drive C your information is still preserved. At least that's what the computer g
... See more
Uldis,

When I said that the processor writes onto two disks at the same time I did not mean making a backup in the usual sense of the word. It is a new system (AMD Athlon dual cell processor) with Raid feature which allows you to configure your system so that whatever your are doing the current process is shadowed on the second disk. And in case of a crash of the system which I keep on a separate system drive C your information is still preserved. At least that's what the computer gurus say. I keep one backup copy of all the files on a removable HDD together with a full system backup which I renew after installation of a new application (not monthly like you) and keep another copy on my notebook.
But to return to the main question of the thread about how good cheap computers are: I personally beieve that a cheap ready assembled computer is good only until the time you can afford a better one.

Alex
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 16:04
French to Dutch
+ ...
Another yes Nov 8, 2006

But buy the cheapest computer of a well-known brand, no home-made assembled kind of thing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a cheap computer good enough?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »