mpeg file download
Thread poster: biankonera

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:31
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Dec 26, 2006

For my film translations Ive to download mpeg files from the client's server, however there is this thing that keeps bothering me regarding these downloads - when the files are big (the latest one is more than 800Mb) I seem to be unable to get them to transfer from their server to my PC (when some 5 seconds are left I get the error message saying that the operation has timed out).

The previous times I survived finding the respective movies in DVDs or VHS, yet this time it appears a bit impossible (due to deadlines etc), so I was hoping maybe somebody has had similar problem and has found a dolution for it? Thanks!:)

Stella

Direct link Reply with quote

Pieter Kuenerz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Get Right Dec 26, 2006

Hi Stella,
There is a software called Get Right that lets you resume interrupted downloads, or even pause a download and later resume it.
Perhaps it will help you.
Good luck!
Pieter Kuenerz

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 03:31
English
Get the newest version Dec 26, 2006

In 202, Headlight Software made GetRight free of spyare and adware, so go straight to the source (getright.com) and get the latest version. It no longer free, but it's worth it.

[Edited at 2006-12-26 15:27]

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
DownThemAll (Firefox extension) Dec 26, 2006

If you use Firefox, you could try DownThemAll!. I find it an excellent download manager.

Daniela Warman
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
English to French
+ ...
Internet Download Manager Dec 26, 2006

Hi,

I actually have had the same problem today and have just downloaded Internet Download Manager. It is not free but you can get a FREE 30 day trial.

Hope it works,

Daniela.

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Windows Commander Dec 26, 2006

For FTP downloads and uploads I always use Windows Commander, a simple, easy-to-use program. It allows stopping download or upload whenever you wish, and resuming it later on from where you have stopped, and many other functions. Here is a link: http://www.networkingfiles.com/ArchieFTP/Commander.htm .

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:31
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ideas and suggestions Dec 26, 2006

Big thanks to all of you for advice what programs to use in such and similar cases! Will definitely try some (or maybe all - who knows) of the suggested programs as I definitely need something to avoid such situations with files.

As for this particular case, I finally got my file using Opera browser which (after this first experience) I could recommend as well.:)

Enjoy the festive season everyone!!!:)

Stella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

mpeg file download

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs