Thread poster: Angel_7
Angel_7
Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:52
French to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2007

Is it possible to watch this with Microsoft Home edition or do I need the Media edition?

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
Local time: 01:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TV Connection Jan 5, 2007

You can use several different types of connections to connect your PC running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a TV or monitor. Depending on the option you choose, you can connect your Media Center PC to many different types of displays, ranging from an HD-ready plasma screen TV to a standard CRT computer monitor.

Kind
... See more
You can use several different types of connections to connect your PC running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a TV or monitor. Depending on the option you choose, you can connect your Media Center PC to many different types of displays, ranging from an HD-ready plasma screen TV to a standard CRT computer monitor.

Kind Regards

MLD

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/using/setup/cables.mspx
Collapse

Angel_7
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XP Home Jan 6, 2007

Maria Luisa Duarte wrote:

Kind Regards

MLD

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/using/setup/cables.mspx

Is there any way of watching TV with Home edition only? I'm not talking about connecting to my TV, but watching TV from my PC, i.e. using my computer as if it were a TV

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:52
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Combo TV Box Jan 6, 2007

Hi Angel,
You can use Combo TV Box to watch TV from your PC. In other words, with addition of the device, the monitor may serve as computer monitor and TV monitor at the same time. I have used it for several years.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 18:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Sure Jan 6, 2007

All you need is a Media Player and it comes with Home edition. Some TV stations require signing in.

For example, try any video on cnn.com for a test - click on any title line with the camera symbol against it.

Angel_7
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jan 6, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Hi Angel,
You can use Combo TV Box to watch TV from your PC. In other words, with addition of the device, the monitor may serve as computer monitor and TV monitor at the same time. I have used it for several years.

This sounds exactly what I'm look for.

Thanks.

Sarah

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Internet TV or aerial/cable TV? Jan 6, 2007

The answer to the question depends on whether you want to watch TV which is sent over the Internet or TV which you receive from your aerial antenna/cable provider/satellite etc.

In the first case all you need is software (e.g. Media Player). In the second case, you need a converter (with or without a tuner - it depends on how you get TV signal and what are your needs).

Some of the various devices used for that purpose ca
... See more
The answer to the question depends on whether you want to watch TV which is sent over the Internet or TV which you receive from your aerial antenna/cable provider/satellite etc.

In the first case all you need is software (e.g. Media Player). In the second case, you need a converter (with or without a tuner - it depends on how you get TV signal and what are your needs).

Some of the various devices used for that purpose can be seen here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1427

It's really hard to recommend something specific with so little information...
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
install a TV card Jan 6, 2007

You can get a graphics card with a TV tuner on it - I used to have one called All-in-Wonder Radeon from ATI. It comes with a multimedia software CD which enables you to watch TV (decide on whether you're connecting to cable or to an antenne), teletext, VCD and DVD on your computer. I don't know what the current version is now. Hauppauge also sell seperate TV tuner cards that you can install into the PCI slot of your PC if you don't want to change your current graphics card.

Orla

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
So or Jan 6, 2007

Orla Ryan wrote:

You can get a graphics card with a TV tuner on it - I used to have one called All-in-Wonder Radeon from ATI. It comes with a multimedia software CD which enables you to watch TV (decide on whether you're connecting to cable or to an antenne), teletext, VCD and DVD on your computer. I don't know what the current version is now. Hauppauge also sell seperate TV tuner cards that you can install into the PCI slot of your PC if you don't want to change your current graphics card.

Orla

You need a DVB-T Card for your cable system at home and if you have not, a DVB-S card to connect a Sat dish.

Otherwise, you can see internet TV with programs like Winamp.

Other possibility are peer 2 peer solutions to see a lot for foreign stations.
For that you will need a program like
PPlive, ants.tv, etc.

To start (learn more about) with this P2P solution goes to
www.sopcast.org

but for regular programs in your country, the best solution is a digital card DVB-S with a satellite dish

Windows Home is OK
Media Center has more comfort but you don't need it.

Regards

Fernando

www.lenguatik.com
www.lenguatik.com/blog

[Edited at 2007-01-06 20:51]

Angel_7
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PCI slot Jan 6, 2007

Orla Ryan wrote:

Orla

What is the PCI slot?

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TV on Computer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »