Mobile menu

Is Kaspersky Lab no longer available for free?
Thread poster: italia

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:16
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 19, 2007

Dear all
Given that I do not intend to subscribe to Norton Security on my new laptop, I wanted to download the current Kasperky lab antivirus software just to see to my surprise, at least it seems to me, that it is no longer available for free.
Can anyone confirm or provide me the link where I can download it if it is still freeware.
MTIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:16
English to Italian
Per quanto ne so... Jan 19, 2007

Kaspersky non è mai stato gratuito... puoi provarlo gratuitamente per 30 giorni, ma poi devi pagare. Forse ti confondi con AVG...
Sorry for posting in Italian... See Roman's answer...

[Edited at 2007-01-19 15:52]

Enza Longo  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:16
French to English
+ ...
free anti-virus downloads Jan 19, 2007

I don't know anything about Kaspersky but I can vouch for AVG free. I finally got rid of Norton after having subscribed to it for a couple of years and never looked back. If you wish to try it out, here's the link: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:16
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
When was it free? Jan 19, 2007

I don't remember Kaspersky antivirus software ever being freeware. In fact, you can download it for free, but then you have to buy a key, and when it expires you'll need to buy a new one, etc.

italia wrote:

Dear all
Given that I do not intend to subscribe to Norton Security on my new laptop, I wanted to download the current Kasperky lab antivirus software just to see to my surprise, at least it seems to me, that it is no longer available for free.
Can anyone confirm or provide me the link where I can download it if it is still freeware.
MTIA

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Yes; AVG Jan 19, 2007

I agree with Enza.
I recently dispensed with McAfee (a real nuisance to get rid of incidentally).
After searching the site for recommendations, I decided to instal the trial version of Kaspersky before committing myself to buying it. It made a real mess of my system and finally I got the dreaded "blue screen of death". My son, who is an IT professional, couldn't resolve it, so in desperation we installed AVG.
After 2 or 3 weeks, I have to say I find it user friendly and (so far of course) effective. And it has saved me about €50!

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kaspersky Antivirus is not free, but Active Virus Shield is. Jan 19, 2007

Dear all: It is true that Kaspersky Antivirus is not free, and has never been. But Active Virus Shield is completely free. And guess what -- it is made by Kaspersky.

Please take a look at this page:

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

Active Virus Shield is distributed free of charge by AOL, and you can not only see the similarity of the Active Virus Shield screens with those of Kaspersky Antivirus, but the message in the last line of the aforementioned webpage:

*Powered by Kaspersky Lab, one of the largest anti-virus providers, worldwide.

The only thing they ask from you is to register with your email address, so they can send you the activation code, and also send you promotional emails. So far, I have received none.

I have no commercial relationship at all with Kaspersky or AOL, and do not get any reward from your downloading a free program (beside the satisfaction that my colleagues are protected against virus by the best-rated antivirus in the world)

And enjoy your work, as much as I enjoy mine!

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
AVG Jan 19, 2007

Russell Jones wrote:

I agree with Enza.
I recently dispensed with McAfee (a real nuisance to get rid of incidentally).

Hi Russell - surely it can't be worse than Norton to dispose of! Kicking Norton out (fully) is tantamount to excavating the Pyramids.

My son, who is an IT professional, couldn't resolve it, so in desperation we installed AVG.
After 2 or 3 weeks, I have to say I find it user friendly and (so far of course) effective. And it has saved me about €50!

Ditto. I've been running that for a couple of years now. Latest complete version update was yesterday. Quote:

"NEW FEATURES
============
- Default update schedule plan is now possible set to hourly updates; this setting is
available also in basic interface
- Command line scanner has two new parameters:
/REG turns on registry scan with Anti-Spyware component
/COO turns on cookie scan with Anti-Spyware component

IMPROVEMENTS
============
- Improved some droppers and polymorphic virus detection
- Improved possibility to heal/remove infected files on 32 bit NT systems
- Improved linkage to the Windows Security Center in the Windows Vista
- Improved behavior of EMS pop-up window (fullscreen games, position, closing)
- Improved texts in some languages (German, Serbian, Dutch, Spanish)
- Cookies are not scanned within System Areas test.
- Improved possibility to install AVG Professional over Free.
- Improvements in AVG Diag utility
- Small improvements in GUI
- Some improvements in setup."

For the sake of not a lot of money, the Pro version is so painless.

You can actually ring them up and talk to a real human being if you need to which, as past forums have shown, is not so easy with Norton. There is also an additional malware killer tool. Was called "ewido", but AVG bought them out.

AVG seems to be very popular, and I'm not surprised.

Cheers
Chris

mjbjosh
Local time: 08:16
English to Latvian
+ ...
Kaspersky Jan 19, 2007

Yet I still have to see something better than Kaspersky, its really worth the money and it usually wins the tests.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Is it better than ZA Internet security Jan 20, 2007

I'm running ZA Internet security suite on my laptop, after I had problems with F-Secure (slow response, timeouts). But on my Win2000 desk computer I have only ZA firewall, after Antivir refused to update. I got a message that AVG is no longer free.
What do you recommend. Is this free Kaspersky compatible to ZA firewall?
Cheers
Heinrich

ttagir  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Kaspersky rules:) Jan 21, 2007

Indeed, this rather interesting sector of market is under permanent allert and therefore movement. IMHO a serious AV software cannot be free as far I know since one has to use very high quality labor force to maintain the product "on the edge". Certainly, this is something being worth 1 Euro per week, because running this business cannot be for nuts.
I know Kaspersky Lab for several years (and even closed some translation-related projects for their products) . Thsi company rised from the first JV company in former USSR (Dialogue).
I should state that this SW company is possibly the most stable and most targeted to the struggle against viruses. They run 24/7/365 service and trace the world situation with viruses (cannot be something worthless). What is even more useful, on their website, one can see what new viruses can do and how to treat a problem without distroying the system. So, the only problem is to catch proper virus:(...
Up to now they keep their daily updates (not saying about weekly and monthly ones) and work with top serious IT corporations over the world.
They also are honest (which is inevitable for this sector:) )and (as far I know) never were producing AVSW for free. There were demo-like AVSW issues which afterwards required a legal key purchasing (after 1 month trial period).
Their rates are not high (due to rather cheap IT labor force rates in RF) if we compare possible damages for information on our HDDs.
They are real professionals in the field.
Well, it is rather difficult to obtain an objective rating scale of various anti-virus sotware (AVSW) products. However, as my own experience shows, "Kasper rules" (warez jargon). It is not an advertising, but real personal experience (please note also that I lecture programming and IT since 1986).
I heard about some problems in installing KL AV (previous name was AVP), but, mostly, this happens due to the following two reasons: 1) hacked/cracked SW, 2) already residing viruses or wrongly (illegally) configured OS in one's PC.
So, good luck and clean PCs to all!:)
T.

[Редактировалось 2007-01-21 10:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Kaspersky Lab no longer available for free?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs