Mixing two sound files of two languages into one file with language options
Thread poster: Jinmei
Jinmei
Jinmei
English to Chinese
Apr 12, 2007

Hello friends, how to mix two sound files (made with software "audacity") into one file in a disk or something that I can choose to listen in one or the other language by click to the language option button or mannual.

Thans a lot.

Jinmei

[Edited at 2007-04-12 13:41]

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:13
English to Swedish
+ ...
Please clarify Apr 17, 2007

Hi Jinmei,

You didn't mention the first condition: which media player do you intend to use? A software player on the computer, or a standalone MP3 player or similar?

I wonder if I understood your question correctly?

You have two soundfiles (WAV format?), and you want to be able to listen to these simultaneously, but only one language at the time. So you don't want a mixed WAV file, because thast would mean that both files are audible at the same time.
... See more
Hi Jinmei,

You didn't mention the first condition: which media player do you intend to use? A software player on the computer, or a standalone MP3 player or similar?

I wonder if I understood your question correctly?

You have two soundfiles (WAV format?), and you want to be able to listen to these simultaneously, but only one language at the time. So you don't want a mixed WAV file, because thast would mean that both files are audible at the same time.

1. A quick'n dirty way is just to start two instances of the same media player on the computer (like Winamp, Foobar 2000), and play each file on each player session, while muting the sound alternatively during playback.

2. The "proper" way is to use the two stereo channels, so that File A will be audible in the left channel, and File B in the right. This is a simple merge operation in Audacity.
You can then switch by panning from left to right, if your player support this (like Winamp, for instance).

Off course, you will then sacrifice the stereo sound, if your original files were recorded in stereo. The drawback is also that you will only hear the sound in one of your headphones/speakers.

3. If you want to complicate it, you need to place both File A and File B in a media container type file format, like AVI or MOV, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format_(digital) and then it also requires that your player supports the advanced functionality of switching between the two soundtracks. I don't know of any player that does, but others here might be able to help?

Good luck!

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-04-17 10:57]
Collapse

Jinmei
Jinmei
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Apr 20, 2007

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for your kindness and detailed instruction. It helps a lot.

All the Best!

Jinmei

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixing two sound files of two languages into one file with language options

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »