Laptop + external monitor: switched identities
Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 29, 2007

I'm using an external monitor connected to my laptop. Usually, I use the external one as extention of my laptop screen, ie. the laptop monitor's identity according to the display options is 1 (primary device), the external monitor is 2.

For some applications, I mirror the laptop's monitor on the larger external monitor since I cannot move the unresizable application window (computer games), ie. they both are my primary monitor. After switching back to my normal view tonight, both monitors switched their identity, the laptop's #2, the external monitor #1.

How can I change it back? The option in the display settings "Use this device as the primary monitor" is grayed out for the laptop.

And how did it happen (so I can avoid it in the future)? I'm running Windows XP Media Edition (basically XP Pro).

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:52
Spanish to French
+ ...
other control panel Apr 29, 2007

Do you have another control panel that says Intel(R) GMA for Mobile?

Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 29, 2007

Not that I'm aware of.

I have the option to choose #2 as primary when I also extend the desktop to this monitor. This unmarks the corresponding checkbox for #1 (external). Theoretically, one would expect that this should to the trick. But #2 (the laptop monitor) goes black, ie. the extension gets lost and, of course, it remains #2.

I could try to uncheck also the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" for #1 (external) at the same time I pick #2 as primary monitor. But what happens if this doesn't set #2 as primary monitor and I'm stuck with two black monitors or with a laptop desktop from which I cannot access the taskbar or the start menu and can therefor not undo anything...

Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back in business Apr 29, 2007

This approach seems a bit weird (and I still don't know how I managed to switch identities), but it worked:

I right-clicked in the laptop's desktop and changed the settings under Graphics Options > Output To to Notebook.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop + external monitor: switched identities

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs