Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:25
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 29, 2007

I'm using an external monitor connected to my laptop. Usually, I use the external one as extention of my laptop screen, ie. the laptop monitor's identity according to the display options is 1 (primary device), the external monitor is 2.

For some applications, I mirror the laptop's monitor on the larger external monitor since I cannot move the unresizable application window (computer games), ie. they both are my primary monitor. After switching back to my normal view tonight, both
... See more
I'm using an external monitor connected to my laptop. Usually, I use the external one as extention of my laptop screen, ie. the laptop monitor's identity according to the display options is 1 (primary device), the external monitor is 2.

For some applications, I mirror the laptop's monitor on the larger external monitor since I cannot move the unresizable application window (computer games), ie. they both are my primary monitor. After switching back to my normal view tonight, both monitors switched their identity, the laptop's #2, the external monitor #1.

How can I change it back? The option in the display settings "Use this device as the primary monitor" is grayed out for the laptop.

And how did it happen (so I can avoid it in the future)? I'm running Windows XP Media Edition (basically XP Pro).

Thanks!
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to French
+ ...
other control panel Apr 29, 2007

Do you have another control panel that says Intel(R) GMA for Mobile?

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 29, 2007

Not that I'm aware of.

I have the option to choose #2 as primary when I also extend the desktop to this monitor. This unmarks the corresponding checkbox for #1 (external). Theoretically, one would expect that this should to the trick. But #2 (the laptop monitor) goes black, ie. the extension gets lost and, of course, it remains #2.

I could try to uncheck also the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" for #1 (external) at the same time I pick #2 as pri
... See more
Not that I'm aware of.

I have the option to choose #2 as primary when I also extend the desktop to this monitor. This unmarks the corresponding checkbox for #1 (external). Theoretically, one would expect that this should to the trick. But #2 (the laptop monitor) goes black, ie. the extension gets lost and, of course, it remains #2.

I could try to uncheck also the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" for #1 (external) at the same time I pick #2 as primary monitor. But what happens if this doesn't set #2 as primary monitor and I'm stuck with two black monitors or with a laptop desktop from which I cannot access the taskbar or the start menu and can therefor not undo anything...
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back in business Apr 29, 2007

This approach seems a bit weird (and I still don't know how I managed to switch identities), but it worked:

I right-clicked in the laptop's desktop and changed the settings under Graphics Options > Output To to Notebook.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop + external monitor: switched identities

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »