Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 7, 2007

I'm trying to find a hosting service in the UK for non-professional use. Basically, I want to create a site where I can post my non-professional writing and possibly a blog. My 12 year old also wants his own site were he can post news etc to his WoW guild/friends (World of Warcraft for those who've not so far had the pleasure of encountering this addictive game). So if I can find a good 2 for 1 deal it would be great.

The ads I've found in my computer magazine are for 123-reg, fas
... See more
I'm trying to find a hosting service in the UK for non-professional use. Basically, I want to create a site where I can post my non-professional writing and possibly a blog. My 12 year old also wants his own site were he can post news etc to his WoW guild/friends (World of Warcraft for those who've not so far had the pleasure of encountering this addictive game). So if I can find a good 2 for 1 deal it would be great.

The ads I've found in my computer magazine are for 123-reg, fasthosts and 1&1. Has anyone have any experience of these companies? Any other good/cheap ones?

They all have different levels of package - i.e. web space, bandwidth, etc. As I have no idea of how much I would need, I would be grateful for some guidance.

What I don't need is any kind of included software for creating the site/s. I have Adobe GoLive and I've already forced my son to learn html & css (future proofing children is important these days, next he's having to learn Visual Basic).

Obviously I want to pay as little as possible (who doesn't), but at the same time get as much as possible.

Any thoughts/recommendations welcome.
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Search newsgroup discussions or use ClaraNet May 7, 2007

You can search Newsgroups, either using your own "newsreader" (Outlook Express can be used as a newsreader) or via Google Groups:
http://groups.google.co.uk/

e.g. if you go to the above Google site and click on "advanced groups search" you can specify a search, which I did to give the followi
... See more
You can search Newsgroups, either using your own "newsreader" (Outlook Express can be used as a newsreader) or via Google Groups:
http://groups.google.co.uk/

e.g. if you go to the above Google site and click on "advanced groups search" you can specify a search, which I did to give the following:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=free%20website&num=50&scoring=r&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=design&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=y&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=7&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=2007&safe=off

will search Google's newsgroup archive over the past year for contributions containing "free" and "website" and not containing "design", and return 50 results per page.
This doesn't answer your question directly but it may help you to find an answer.

Another option is, for example, to have a "free trial" at ClaraNet. Go to

http://www.clara.co.uk/home-office/internet-access/dialup.html

and click on "freetrial". This will give you an account with email (Web-mail with POP3 access) and 10 MB of webspace. The only cost is the 0845 phone calls you make to access it. Your website address will then be
http://www.username.clara.co.uk/
(with your choice of username) and the amail address will be
[email protected]
or
[email protected]
I think you can also access an account of this type via your existing broadband connection (if you have one) and just need to use the 0845 number occasionally to keep the account alive. I have a non-free (i.e. paid-for) ClaraNet account that I access via a broadband connection not provided by Clara.
I can't find the freetrial number on the Clara website - I suppose you will be informed of the number when you register for an account.

Hope that helps

Oliver
Collapse

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oliver May 7, 2007

This solution might be enough for my son, however he would disagree as he wants to register his own domain. He's a bit fed up with web site addresses that run on forever and nobody can remember.

For myself I'm after a paid for service as I want a 'proper' website address. I might also, in the future, want to expand this site and therefore want to register my own domain now.

Any other suggestions of good (but not too expensive) hosting services are very welcome.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Why in the UK? May 8, 2007

I shopped around a bit a while ago for a reliable web hosting service and found ICDSoft. This company is located in Hongkong, I believe.

Recently, I added a second domain and website and I checked around again to find that they still offer very competitive rates.
I have no complaints at all regarding their services, options and customer service.

You can check them
... See more
I shopped around a bit a while ago for a reliable web hosting service and found ICDSoft. This company is located in Hongkong, I believe.

Recently, I added a second domain and website and I checked around again to find that they still offer very competitive rates.
I have no complaints at all regarding their services, options and customer service.

You can check them out at http://icdsoft.com/
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 10:20
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
register4less May 8, 2007

I've registered a number of sites with these guys. They provide great service and quick (and friendly!) support.
They charge $14.95 a year, pretty sure its still the same. That gives you a bunch of stuff, including unlimited email aliases and, most importantly, 5MB of free storage. Doesn't sound like a great deal, but take a look at my site for an idea of what you can "squeeze" into that. My site is still under 2MB (the Japanese pages are n
... See more
I've registered a number of sites with these guys. They provide great service and quick (and friendly!) support.
They charge $14.95 a year, pretty sure its still the same. That gives you a bunch of stuff, including unlimited email aliases and, most importantly, 5MB of free storage. Doesn't sound like a great deal, but take a look at my site for an idea of what you can "squeeze" into that. My site is still under 2MB (the Japanese pages are not up yet, that's my fault not r4l!) www.omdtranslation.com
Good luck with your hunt!
All the best
Owen
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Zen May 8, 2007

Hi Madeleine,
I've found Zen Internet to be very reliable. Might be worth checking out.
Have a good week,
Amy

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
www.zyworld.com May 8, 2007

Hi Madelaine,

I don't live in the UK (I am based in Germany), but years ago (at least 5), when looking for web hosting options, I decided to choose a UK-based provider, which to date has worked quite well for me (as you see, the address is in the title of my reply).

I don't know if you can consider them "cheap", but they do offer different hosting options/prices.

As to domain registration, I never chose to get a direct domain name (because I have not found
... See more
Hi Madelaine,

I don't live in the UK (I am based in Germany), but years ago (at least 5), when looking for web hosting options, I decided to choose a UK-based provider, which to date has worked quite well for me (as you see, the address is in the title of my reply).

I don't know if you can consider them "cheap", but they do offer different hosting options/prices.

As to domain registration, I never chose to get a direct domain name (because I have not found it necessary/particularly useful to date), but I believe they offer domain name registration as well.

They also offer a quite useful bunch of tools for creating web sites without having to use a web-design program, including a tool for creating icons, graphics, etc.

The only thing I don't totally like is that in the option I chose they do not offer as much space capacity as other host providers, but so far it has been enough for my website.

I can recommend it based on my own experience, but I am sure there are lots of other options in the UK.

Best regards,

Ivette
http://www.zyworld.com/ICL/
Collapse

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 8, 2007

Thanks Heike, Owen, Amy and Ivette,

I'll have a look at your suggestions come the weekend when I might possibly (?) have some time to myself.

I had never thought of the possibility of not using a UK based service, so this is a new avenue to explore.

Cheers,
Madeleine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good web hosting provider UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »