How FLASH are translated?
Thread poster: miraclee
miraclee
miraclee
Local time: 08:32
English to Chinese
Jun 1, 2007

I am trying to find information on how easy/difficult it is to translate FLASH. Does anyone know how exactly FLASH are translated? Do you simply get .fla files from clients? I guess you can translate it in Trados TagEditor? Has anyone got any expertise in this area of translation? I would be very grateful for any assistance!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No actual experience, but a lead Jun 3, 2007

A local (Brazilian) agency/friend once asked me to bid on translating a heavy Flash presentation, with more user interactivity than I'd ever dare to rebuild.

Knowing nothing about Flash (I still build my presentations with the late Astound), I tried to find a way to do it.

So I found FlashDigger, which may be downloaded from http://www.flashdig.com . They offer a non-working demo.
... See more
A local (Brazilian) agency/friend once asked me to bid on translating a heavy Flash presentation, with more user interactivity than I'd ever dare to rebuild.

Knowing nothing about Flash (I still build my presentations with the late Astound), I tried to find a way to do it.

So I found FlashDigger, which may be downloaded from http://www.flashdig.com . They offer a non-working demo.
As far as I could see, it enables you to find text within the presentation, copy&paste to Word, translate it (I use WordFast), and then copy&paste the translation back to its original place, keeping the presentation intact. It also allows to make some layout adjustments, if the text won't fit properly.

Though my bid was, in my opinion, quite fair and on the low side, it was close to 5 digits in US$ (there were several videos to be subtitled as well). The end client tried to force our price down, by saying they had found someone who could do it for half as much. As they insisted for weeks trying to lowering our price, instead of just handing the job to the chheaper vendor, I can safely assume that their plot backfired. But I didn't get the order.

So I don't have any actual experience to tell you about, just the suggestion to check that FlashDigger and see if it works for you.

HTH.

[]s
Jose'
Collapse

miraclee
miraclee
Local time: 08:32
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2007

THanks a lot for your responding.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How FLASH are translated?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »