Windows XP: \"ö\" destroys all my mails
Thread poster: Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
Italian to German
Jan 9, 2003

Whenever I type alt + 148 to get German o Umlaut, Internet goes back by one page, which means that if I\'m writing an e-mail, everything is lost. Is there a way to avoid this, and to easily create our beloved ö? (I don\'t use Outlook but a website.)

Greetings from snowy Italy!

Martin

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-09 16:30]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-09 16:31]

Francesca Bottacchi (X)
Francesca Bottacchi (X)  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Basta cambiare layout di tastiera Jan 9, 2003

Per impostare una lingua diversa dall\'italiano, devi aggiungerne una in Risorse del computer>Pannello di controllo>tastiera>lingua>aggiungi.

Poi con i due tasti di selezione che avrai impostato, puoi passare da una lingua all\'altra.

Per scrivere la ö devi premere il tasto ò, la ä il tasto à, la ü il tasto é, la ß il tasto \'.

Ciao

Francesca

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:44
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Activate Num Lock Jan 9, 2003

Martin,

I believe that what\'s happening to you is caused by not having activated the Num Lock key.

When you type ALT+148 you are in fact typing ALT+{end}{arrow left}{arrow up}. The result is that when you press the number 4 {arrow left} your browser goes to the previous page.

Check again and you will see!

Keep the Num Lock pressed when typing numbers and your problem will be solved.

Gianfranco
<
... See more
Martin,

I believe that what\'s happening to you is caused by not having activated the Num Lock key.

When you type ALT+148 you are in fact typing ALT+{end}{arrow left}{arrow up}. The result is that when you press the number 4 {arrow left} your browser goes to the previous page.

Check again and you will see!

Keep the Num Lock pressed when typing numbers and your problem will be solved.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-09 17:05]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch to german keyboard Jan 9, 2003

I assume you are using Windows XP with the possobility of switching the keyboard language, as you need this to type german ie. in Word. So when you type something in a website simply switch your keyboard to german. This should help both for IE and Netscape.

It works even for polish characters, so it will work for german too.

Regards

Jerzy

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
danke schööön! Jan 9, 2003

mille grazie Gianfranco! hai ragione! infatti su tutti i computers che usavo (ne abbiamo 20 in ufficio e 40 a scuola) il numlock era già attivato, ma questo qua è nuovo zecca!

grazie anche per i consigli con la tastiera, ma non fa per me perché scrivo in parecchie lingue.

buona sera da Udine dove sta nevicando come matto!

Martin

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-10 08:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP: \"ö\" destroys all my mails

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »