Mobile menu

Windows XP: \"ö\" destroys all my mails
Thread poster: schmurr

schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 9, 2003

Whenever I type alt + 148 to get German o Umlaut, Internet goes back by one page, which means that if I\'m writing an e-mail, everything is lost. Is there a way to avoid this, and to easily create our beloved ö? (I don\'t use Outlook but a website.)

Greetings from snowy Italy!

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-09 16:30]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-09 16:31]

Direct link Reply with quote
Francesca Bottacchi  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Basta cambiare layout di tastiera Jan 9, 2003

Per impostare una lingua diversa dall\'italiano, devi aggiungerne una in Risorse del computer>Pannello di controllo>tastiera>lingua>aggiungi.

Poi con i due tasti di selezione che avrai impostato, puoi passare da una lingua all\'altra.

Per scrivere la ö devi premere il tasto ò, la ä il tasto à, la ü il tasto é, la ß il tasto \'.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Activate Num Lock Jan 9, 2003

I believe that what\'s happening to you is caused by not having activated the Num Lock key.

When you type ALT+148 you are in fact typing ALT+{end}{arrow left}{arrow up}. The result is that when you press the number 4 {arrow left} your browser goes to the previous page.

Check again and you will see!

Keep the Num Lock pressed when typing numbers and your problem will be solved.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-09 17:05]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch to german keyboard Jan 9, 2003

I assume you are using Windows XP with the possobility of switching the keyboard language, as you need this to type german ie. in Word. So when you type something in a website simply switch your keyboard to german. This should help both for IE and Netscape.

It works even for polish characters, so it will work for german too.

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
danke schööön! Jan 9, 2003

mille grazie Gianfranco! hai ragione! infatti su tutti i computers che usavo (ne abbiamo 20 in ufficio e 40 a scuola) il numlock era già attivato, ma questo qua è nuovo zecca!

grazie anche per i consigli con la tastiera, ma non fa per me perché scrivo in parecchie lingue.

buona sera da Udine dove sta nevicando come matto!

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-10 08:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP: \"ö\" destroys all my mails

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs