Mobile menu

Field codes: Do I need to translate them?
Thread poster: Vladimir Pochinov

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:07
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Jun 30, 2007

I am translating a document that contains several field codes (highlighted in grey). For instance, the title of the document is "XXX TEMPERATURE SENSOR". When I right-click on the title and select 'Toggle Field Codes', I see the underlying code - { COMMENTS \* MERGEFORMAT }.

I am not sure whether I need to translate this title ("XXX TEMPERATURE SENSOR"). What will happen if and when this field is updated in the final target document. Will my translation be replaced again with the source text?

I would very much appreciate any insight on this issue.

Regards,
Vladimir

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:07
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The original content is in the Properties of your document Jun 30, 2007

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
I am not sure whether I need to translate this title ("XXX TEMPERATURE SENSOR"). What will happen if and when this field is updated in the final target document. Will my translation be replaced again with the source text?

Hi Vladimir,

you need to translate the content of some fields (Title, Comment, or else) located in the "Properties" of your Word document and then, if you go back to the Word page and refresh the fields, you will see your translation appearing in the right place.

If you edit the field directly in the Word page you would destroy the field structure created by the author.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-06-30 13:04]

Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Field codes and 'Properties' page Jun 30, 2007

gianfranco wrote:

You need to translate the content of some fields (Title, Comment, or else) located in the "Properties" of your Word document and then, if you go back to the Word page and refresh the fields, you will see your translation appearing in the right place.

If you edit the field directly in the Word page you would destroy the field structure created by the author.

I checked the 'Properties' page of the document but it did not contain any text for the field codes

xxxUndoer of Ba  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
English to German
I would try to avoid messing with fields Jun 30, 2007

Hi,
I am not sure at all you should mess with those fields. You might right-click on a field and edit it for instance to make a date resemble your target date format etc. But translate?!? I don't think I would translate anything that is not visible when you have selected not to show field functions in Extras - Options. It does not matter if the field names etc. are in English or in your target language as long as the references are ok.
But then again, maybe I just did not get your question
Tchau

Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Field codes Jun 30, 2007

Undoer of Babel wrote:

Hi,
It does not matter if the field names etc. are in English or in your target language as long as the references are ok.
But then again, maybe I just did not get your question

To make things clearer (hopefully), I don't want to mess with the code in the field, i.e. { COMMENTS \* MERGEFORMAT }

But if I leave the contents of field intact, the title of the document will remain in English:

TEMPERATURE SENSOR (highlighted in grey)

xxxUndoer of Ba  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
English to German
More confused than ever ... Jun 30, 2007

I don't have much to do with fields in Word, maybe that's why I have not figured out yet what fields have to do with the document title.
You can change the document title in the file property page.

There is one field function which inserts the title of the document into the field. Are you talking about such a field?

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:07
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try this procedure Jun 30, 2007

I have no documents with fields available right now, so I have created one with two fields.
The content of the fields Title and Comments inserted in the body of a Word page.

To edit them, you could right click on the fields and then select the option Edit. You should be able to browse all possible fields available and find which one contains your text.

What I find strange is that when I go to edit them, the previous content is not shown to me, but once I enter my translation the new text will show, and it is also present in the original field visible in the Properties.

Try it, and take precaustions (do it in a copy of your file) until you are reasonably sure that it works.

bye
Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Field codes: Do I need to translate them?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs