https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/76943-copying_files_from_one_drive_to_another_in_windows_xp.html

Copying files from one drive to another in Windows XP
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:52
Japanese to English
Jul 2, 2007

I have Windows XP. The problem is that the genius that set it up gave me more space on drive D than I have on drive C. Since e-mail is stored by default on drive C I am running out of space. I moved my work folder from drive C to drive D, but now when I copy my files from the desktop to my work folder a copy of the file gets left on the desktop. I just want to move the files; I don't want to create a copy of them. Is there some way to prevent it from doing this? I suppose I could move the e-mail... See more
I have Windows XP. The problem is that the genius that set it up gave me more space on drive D than I have on drive C. Since e-mail is stored by default on drive C I am running out of space. I moved my work folder from drive C to drive D, but now when I copy my files from the desktop to my work folder a copy of the file gets left on the desktop. I just want to move the files; I don't want to create a copy of them. Is there some way to prevent it from doing this? I suppose I could move the e-mail storage to drive D and that might help for a little while...Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Move rather than copy Jul 2, 2007

If I understand correctly, you want to move the files. The files as a result will be on drive D and no longer on drive C.

Windows copy actually moves files between directories, but copies them between drives. You can cut and paste using those menu options, or press the Shift key before dragging the files from one location to the other.

Now if you need e-mail to be deposited in the D drive instead of the C drive, you'll need to set up some parameters, and I won't inves
... See more
If I understand correctly, you want to move the files. The files as a result will be on drive D and no longer on drive C.

Windows copy actually moves files between directories, but copies them between drives. You can cut and paste using those menu options, or press the Shift key before dragging the files from one location to the other.

Now if you need e-mail to be deposited in the D drive instead of the C drive, you'll need to set up some parameters, and I won't investigate that for right now (sorry), but the above answers your immediate question as I understood it.
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Shift + drag works perfectly!! Jul 2, 2007

Thank you!!

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
English
More D than C usually a good thing Jul 2, 2007

The problem is that the genius that set it up gave me more space on drive D than I have on drive C.

For most users, more D and C is the way to do -- applications tend to grow at a far slower rate than data, and it's the data that's most important. Further, to keep many gigs of e-mails is usually overkill.

And about moving between volumes: besides what Can said, you can right-click and drag, and you're given an option to copy or move.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't think about that Jul 3, 2007

tlmurray wrote:

For most users, more D and C is the way to do -- applications tend to grow at a far slower rate than data, and it's the data that's most important. Further, to keep many gigs of e-mails is usually overkill.

And about moving between volumes: besides what Can said, you can right-click and drag, and you're given an option to copy or move.

I see your point, but My Documents, My Music and all those other locations are on C. The only way you could store your data on D is if you intentionally selected it when installing new software (which I do). I have 5 G on C and 250 on D. It just doesn't seem logical.

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 21:52
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Wipe it clean! Jul 3, 2007

Hi Casey,
Yeah, 5GB on C seems a little on the stingy side! tlmurray's right about how your programs/data should be set up by you might find yourself running out of space to install programs...Acrobat alone takes up a greedy 750MB. How about transferring all of your data to an external HD - you can get 250GB drives for around 1δΈ‡ these days (Lacie are good). Then reinstall Windows. A bit drastic, granted! But might save you some hastle down the road.
All the best,
Owen

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Casey Jul 3, 2007

You can move My Documents and Outlook Express store folder to any drive you want. I always keep them on D drive, because it's safer. If something happens to my programs and I reinstall the system, I won't lose my data.

There are a number of ways to move My Documents to Drive D. I think the easiest way is to create a My Documents folder on D, right-click on the My Documents icon on your desktop, open the Properties and change the path to D:\My Documents. Windows will automatically ac
... See more
You can move My Documents and Outlook Express store folder to any drive you want. I always keep them on D drive, because it's safer. If something happens to my programs and I reinstall the system, I won't lose my data.

There are a number of ways to move My Documents to Drive D. I think the easiest way is to create a My Documents folder on D, right-click on the My Documents icon on your desktop, open the Properties and change the path to D:\My Documents. Windows will automatically accept this path as the path to your documents and it will work in any program.

For Outlook Express, go to Tools > Options > Maintenance, press the "Store Folder" button, and then the "Change" button. There you can specify a folder on any drive, including D, where you want you messages to be stored. You can just create a Mailbox folder in My Documents, and instruct Outlook Express to store all your messages, including the ones you have already received, in this folder. Follow the online instructions carefully not to lose your data when moving them.

Make sure to backup your files before doing this, in case you lose your data.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying files from one drive to another in Windows XP

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »